Copyright

All blog posts, unless otherwise noted, are copyrighted to the Author (that's me) and may not be used without written permission.

August 3, 2007

Caffeine

I've made a concerted effort to mostly eliminate caffeine from my diet. I drink the Caffeine Free Pepsi, the clear sodas with no caffeine, milk and Sunny D, Kool-aid, and even water these days. Even when out at restaurants, I have been making an effort to get lemonade or fruit punch instead of Coke or Pepsi.

Wednesday I slipped. I got a big 32 ounce Pepsi and drank it down. Then, later in the afternoon, I was still thirsty and went to the machine with every intention of getting something non-caffeinated. But, my fingers found themselves punching in D-3 for a Pepsi and I sucked it down pretty fast.

I normally don't react too much to caffeine, but after so long having so little of it in my system these massive influx hit me hard. I was wired for a good 3-4 hours and then crashed and burned. But, most likely due to the drug still in my system, I crashed in a way that made me tired but unable to sleep. I went to bed exhausted but couldn't get my brain to shut down or my eyes to stay closed. I tossed and turned as I tried to find a comfortable position. I finally did drop off to sleep but it was not restful and I woke up feeling tired.

Back when I used to drink 10-12 Pepsi's in a week, plus what I would get at restaurants and fast food joints, I never felt that it was affecting me... but of course I didn't, as I was constantly re-medicating myself with the drug. I am realizing now how much my sleep patterns were affected only because they have changed so drastically now.

I realize that my body is also changing. On top of all my health concerns, it is getting older, slowing down a little, and needing different things than it did when I was younger. Caffeine, and its affects, are not what it is looking for at this stage.

One thing I would like to do is more exercise. However, it is a case of the mind is willing but the body needs some prodding. I need to find someone who can provide that prodding and is willing to do the low-impact type of exercise I need. Even walking around the apartment complex would be a good thing, but I am a creature of habit and my habit is to do everything I need to before going home. Once home, I am in my cave and don't come out for anything, usually. I am back doing my situps, although I am not in the habit of doing them every day yet. And the inconsistent state my body is in from the arthritis doesn't help me push past the apathy and do it.

I am back on the non-caffeine horse. Last night's sleep was better and I woke up feeling more refreshed. Hopefully tonight's rest will continue that trend. Hopefully I won't have another slip that serious, but the desire for the drug is still there (and a bit stronger now that the body has had another taste).

And all of this reminds me, I'm out of the grape Kool-aid I like so much. Need to get more.

2 comments:

  1. Someone like your wife, who likes to go for walks?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anonymous12:44 AM

    Hi, John, I remember those days when all you drank was Pepsi. I'm glad you've branched out and are taking in other beverages! And cutting back on caffeine is always a good thing. Keep up your health-conscious practices! - Daralee

    ReplyDelete