Copyright

All blog posts, unless otherwise noted, are copyrighted to the Author (that's me) and may not be used without written permission.

August 2, 2007

Solicitation

I got a phone call. Pleasant woman calling on behalf of injured veterans.

"Is this a solicitation?" I ask.

"No, sir. I am not asking you for money over the phone," she answers.

"Okay," I say.

"Sir, I'd like to send you a donation card on behalf of injured vets..."

"No thank you," I reply, and hang up.

Now, don't get me wrong; I'm very interested in helping injured vets. I'm from a military family, I believe in the men and women who serve in our armed forces, and this is a hot topic right now as we have so many being injured in this "war" on terror and occupations of a foreign country.

I hung up on her because she lied to me.

This actually makes the third time recently where the person has lied in the same way. What they don't seem to understand is that "solicitation" means "to make petition to." In modern terminology, this has come to mean "to make petition for money," specifically. This woman 'made petition' to me specifically for money, in this case a donation. In what way was this not a solicitation?

My guess is that they are using some sort of change in the law or a change in philosophy at these calling centers which tells them that what they are doing it is legally okay not to call a solicitation. However, they are simply wrong. And it irritates me when I am lied to.

I plan to ask to speak with the next one's manager and see if I can get transferred. I may have to lie in order to get there, saying that I want more information or want to congratulate him on the politeness or efficacy of the caller I'm dealing with. If I succeed, I plan to ask if he/his company understands the definition of "to solicit" and what justifies his worker saying "no" to that question.

I'll let you know if I'm successful with my follow up.

1 comment:

  1. My phone call was from Josh, calling on behalf of law enforcement officers injured in the line of duty.

    Is this a solicitation?

    No, I'm providing you with information about law enforcement officers in your area who have been injured in the line of duty and asking you to donate ...

    I hung up.

    That, my friend, is the definition of a telephone solicitation!

    I'm on every "do not call" list I've been able to find via the internet, so I'm not sure why I'm again receiving numerous calls requesting donations to various charities. Perhaps my "do not call" request has to be renewed?

    ReplyDelete