Copyright

All blog posts, unless otherwise noted, are copyrighted to the Author (that's me) and may not be used without written permission.

September 18, 2005

The Other Days

Day 2
We visited a desert museum in the Saguaro National Park which, while interesting, was not what we thought it was. Turned out there was more than one desert museum in the park! The one we visited was filled with many dead, stuffed critters, which was sad, but did have a live tarantula in an enclosure. So she got to at least see that while in Tucson. :-)

After this museum we found the visitor’s center, met a park ranger who was from Bangor, Maine and knew the Saint John area, and then went for a walk in the park. I’ll leave it to her to tell you exactly what she said, but I’ll say this: we found a temperature that is “too hot” for the lady who loves hot weather. And make sure she shows you the picture of the “park;” any concept of grass, trees, and nicely placed walking paths are wrong!

Shopping—and then some! We hit a variety of stores and I got to experience “the look” firsthand that she gets in her eyes while “on the hunt.” I stood out of her way and in awe of her prowess, even if her main focus, Halloween decorations, were a bit of a disappointment. We did find some good things in Wal-Mart. We did see an entire store dedicated to Halloween, but never fit in a trip there.

We were supposed to go to karaoke that evening, but I was exhausted from an incredibly poor night’s rest the prior night. She could have pushed it and I would have gone, but she thought we should try again the next night instead. We instead spent quality time together that night talking, watching a little TV, and just continuing to figure each other out.

She opened the birthday gift I brought along. I’m happy to say she liked it.

Day 3
Continued some shopping, had to return a purchased item from the day before, and then planned to go to church and then to karaoke afterward. However, due to continued exhaustion problems, we decided to take a nap prior to church. Separate beds, people! Take your mind out of the gutter. Unfortunately, she didn’t awaken until about 5:10 and I didn’t until about 5:30. Since this is a Catholic Church, she knew showing up late wouldn’t really work, so she let me sleep a little longer. I feel like a real heel for that; as I was really looking forward to seeing her at church and gaining some insights into her through her connection to church and her religion.

So, although I apologized in person, here’s a written one for the entire world to see: I’m sorry we missed church.

She had to go to an initial meet-n-greet for the conference she was officially there to attend, so off she went. I ran some errands and then returned for some further conversation when she was done.

Because of the continued exhaustion issues—while it seems to have worked for us, I don’t recommend having two people meet in a strange city after each surviving many hours of travel to get there—we said good night and tried for a better night’s rest before our last little bit of time together.

Day 4

The conference started at 9am and I needed to get on the road for the long drive home, so we only had a short time in which to say farewell. What could have been a tearful event was, I think, a more positive one as we both focused on the future and other vacations together.

The drive back was a sad one. I didn’t want to leave! I could have stayed the whole week with her, had I the time off, and permission, from work to do so! What an incredible woman.

Still tired, even with a better night’s rest, the drive back was dangerously monotonous. Luckily, my mom’s house is on the way, so I stopped there for an early supper and a little breather before making the final hour and half to home.

My cat is still living—looks like I guessed correctly on the amount of food and water to put down for her as she still has plenty of both left over. She is even not being grouchy with me as she came out almost immediately for some ear scratching.

----

So, here I sit, utterly exhausted and wonderfully happy. I had a fabulous time and look forward to the next vacation we can manage—even if it involves… *shudder*… a plane ride. :-)

For those to whom it applies: we have to go to karaoke as a group. No excuses! But remember, I go as a listener and a cheering section; I don’t sing. At all. Ask anyone, it is not pretty when I do. And I look forward to going to church with her at her own hometown church.

6 comments:

  1. Yippee!!! I'm so excited and happy that everything went well. (: Yay yay yay!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's not just church that you'll get to see her at in her own element - that, with group karaoke and many other things it's always amazing to see something or someone in their own element. As as tough as it is to meet after a long travel and in a beutral place, it's actually easier - trust me :) So glad it went well and that you guys have had a chance to "see for yourelves" finally. Life is good! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. It's also very special to have such a great support system from someone like a mom too!! That's very important and it doesn't always apply to all people, especially when dealing with online situations, so kudos to you for being there for him. I know I would have appreciated a cup of coffee or tea and an ear to talk to at that point in time on the drive home! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. PS: I'm not sure when you guys are next looking at meeting up, but if you're coming up here around our Thanksgiving, you're more than welcome :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I do understand the concerns with online dating. Terri-Lynn and I met online and were just married two weeks ago. We both had bad online experiences in the past though. I wish you the best.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Yes - had a horrible online experience of someone coming up to SJ for a week - ask Melissa I'm sure she VIVIDLY remembers.Up until that point in time, I had had great online meeting experiences - all except one before that away from where I lived and all previous meetings away from my family's scrutinizing eyes. My bad in that last one. It was one where I almost thought about not meeting up with Van because it had gone THAT horribly. How horrible would that have been in the end if I had have let that get to me?! Never would have met the man I'm now married to!

    Hope you guys can afford to take the time needed. It's hard - trust us - but it's worth it in the end, right, wrong or indifferent in the outcome, take as much times as needed, no matter the distance. I know, easy enough for me to say, it's not MY money! hehehee

    Congrats to a good start & we hope it continues!

    ReplyDelete