Copyright

All blog posts, unless otherwise noted, are copyrighted to the Author (that's me) and may not be used without written permission.

September 28, 2005

Update

Apparently our viewing public is avid for some sort of update. I guess we have both been somewhat quiet since Tucson, but I’ve received some emails and in-person conversations asking what we are doing and where we are going from here.

We are making plans for me to fly back and visit her in her hometown environment over Halloween. This happens to be her favorite holiday and splits the difference between Tucson (mid-Sept) and Christmas nicely. It allows us about a week to continue figuring “us” out and getting comfortable with each other.

I’ll admit that I’m both excited and nervous. Excited because this is a significant step—meeting one another in one of our home towns. That is huge in a long-distance relationship. The safety of the anonymous internet and telephone, of the distance, and of a neutral city (although Tucson feels like home now, with as much of it as we saw!—have to go back there someday; beautiful city) are all ripped away and we are both left bare. It is a significant step and a significant, but necessary, risk. I’m very much looking forward to it.

The nervousness comes from being the first to step into the other’s city. I will be the first to meet her friends, see her home, and meet her family. I am not really that nervous about it—I know how much I like her, I have spoken with quite a few of her friends and they seem like great people, and all I can be is myself with her family. It is more the thought of what this could mean, where it could lead. We are now heading into the "significant steps" in any relationship; they are just magnified by the distance.

In a traditional relationship, you might date for a few weeks, going out a couple of times a week, before you begin the process of meeting each other’s families. We do not have that luxury. We need to compress more of the dating experience into less time, as the distance does not allow us the luxury of time or convenience.

Luckily, we continue to promote open and honest communication as the most important attribute in our relationship, so these compressed meetings will not be as stressful as they otherwise could be.

Her younger brother sounds like someone I would like even if he was not related. Her dad seems like a handy guy, smart, and he loves her a lot. Her older brother, being protective, may not like how we met, but he seems like a good guy. The only person I am nervous about meeting is her mom; she sounds like a woman who has strong feelings about her daughter’s boyfriends. All I can really do is express my feelings for her daughter and hope she approves. Maybe that will be enough?

I am most excited about seeing her town and meeting her friends. She speaks so passionately about her home town that it must be a wonder to behold. And, I’m told, it has these things called “trees” and areas filled with these trees that just occur naturally—they are not all designated as “parks” and only full of soccer moms taking their children to the latest match. Oh, and get this! There is a river there that isn’t in a flood channel and carefully contained by concrete! What kind of river is allowed to roam free? Weirdness! ;-)

Her many friends seem great (those with whom I’ve spoken). I look forward to pumpkin carving, shopping, and karaoke with some or all of them (although all are on a strict “John doesn’t sing” alert—do not even try!). I look forward to going to mass with her in her much-loved church. I am taking my date to a nice sit-down restaurant called Suwanna at some point. Oh, and I should stop by the florist I’ve been using—can’t have them ruining the surprise because they can’t find her address! They need a good talking to on that subject-- haven't they heard of mapit.com or Yahoo! Maps? Sheesh!

So, although I hate to fly with a passion, I will be boarding an ungodly number of airplanes (granting that any number above 0 is “ungodly” in my book—why do you think I drove to Tucson?) and winging east to meet this wonderful woman in her hometown.

There is no point in wishing me good luck—I’ve already used it all up and then some meeting this great girl.

10 comments:

  1. We're looking just as forward to you coming here as you are - perhaps even more! :) Not to put any more pressure on you.

    sorry you don't like to fly - chalk the nervousness up to that!

    ReplyDelete
  2. yeah, it'll be ok. flying into SJ is pretty easy, you can laugh as the airports get smaller, and smaller, and smaller....

    it'll be a fun time. we don't bite.

    the leaves may or may not still be colourful when you arrive.

    ReplyDelete
  3. oh, and with regards to the trees: you have no idea. look out the window as you fly over the middle of the province. it's ALL trees.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Anonymous10:31 AM

    My first instinct is to threaten to beat up anyone who picks on my little brother, but then I realize I don't need to worry--he's probably the best of the family, the most comfortable with himself, the most grounded, smart as heck, and wickedly funny in an understated sort of way. There will be no need for me to beat up anyone, because you will love my brother.

    ReplyDelete
  5. The florist delivery guy said he's been driving for 30 years, knows every street in SJ and was stumped about this one (wasn't on his map.) He asked how long it had been here (roughly 3 years.) He's obviously an old-school map guy, but the type who will definitely remember where my street is now that he found one he didn't know. He sounded like he prided himself on knowing every street.

    The owners of this flower shop are related to me on my mother's side. They wouldn't know me though, since I don't have the same last name. There is a famous story my mom tells about this florist. Since they were related, Grammy made her use them for her wedding, and they showed up with extremely crappy/too few flowers. Granted this was 1970. Anything I've gotten from them has been beautiful. But I never go there to buy anything because of remembering that story.

    And it wasn't the florist that ruined the surprise, it was the fact that John asked me if I was "going to be home all day on Friday," after I had already told him a few days earlier that I would be, made me figure it out. :)

    Can't wait for you to get here either :) I just hope you don't find it too hokey. You *will* find it cold. That's a given. At least October is not too bad. If you're "lucky" maybe it will snow early! There have been a few years in the past where it has snowed on Halloween, but that is rare. Kids often wear snowsuits under their costumes if it's really cold, since they're outside all night.

    I am not helping things here, am I? :D

    ReplyDelete
  6. She does love this city much more than a lot of people do, however, for one that doesn't always enjoy this city, I will have to take you down to my parent's place as it has by far the best view in the city of the Reversing Falls (even better than the tourist bureau).

    cold is guaranteed and there were a good number of H'weens I remember being done in the snow and almost always in a snow suit. Rarely do I remember it raining on H'ween.

    Liz, you talk about the delivery guy as old-school as if that's a rarity in SJ. It's not! Everything around here is old-school!! For example - How do I get to Point A. you may want to ask a person and they will come back at you with - Why don't you know how to get to Point A? It's where XYZ used to be! they reply shocked. No joke!!

    And kudos to your Big Sis. She's doing a great job! hehehe

    ReplyDelete
  7. Yeah, I know, everything here really is old school. We're notorious for directions that include places that no longer exist.

    One of the most infamous SJisms is "the outdoor". That is specific to native SJers. It means the emergency department at the hospital. The name had to do with the General Hospital, when it was still in operation, before they imploded it and the whole city went to watch. I was born at that hospital! I still find it weird to not see it in the landscape.

    So. Hokey. *sigh.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Anonymous3:46 PM

    Almost forgot: I researched Canada for the Nov/Dec issue of the mag; to this crowd, my efforts will be pathetic. But I did find out that there are huge natural sculptures in the Bay of Fundy, plus extraordinary tides and "abundant sealife." (Not so abundant teddy bear life, though.) Anyway, it sounds like there's good scenery, in addition to the trees, water, and snow-for-Halloween gig. And all the Canadians I've ever met have been very nice. Usually funny, earnest, and crazy patriotic. Maybe it's just the crowd I run with...

    ReplyDelete
  9. Sadly I'm not going to get to partake in this fun, but perhaps next time! (:

    Further to Mare's comment about the airports shrinking. When Kathie Lee Gifford made a visit to St Andrews several years back she flew into the SJ airport. She described it as flying into "a remote airport in a very small town." Hehehe! Remote? Um... small perhaps. Not nearly as small as it used to be now though. But yet small... not so remote though! LOL

    ReplyDelete
  10. Anonymous8:50 PM

    I've been off the radar for a while. Distant land + no customer service = no internet. When I got back into contact with my dear friend John, lo and behold, he's smitten. It made my heart swell to hear him so happy. Though I am a bit jealous...he's never come to visit me. But then again, he's never been smitten with me. ;-)

    ReplyDelete