Copyright

All blog posts, unless otherwise noted, are copyrighted to the Author (that's me) and may not be used without written permission.

August 10, 2007

Bourne and More

Bourne Ultimatum

My favorite action-adventure thriller movies are the first two Bourne movies. My only complaint is a small one-- the use of "shaky cam" in the Supremacy to "heighten" the action sequences. I felt that the acting, action, and story lines in both movies were superb.

So, as you can imagine, Ultimatum had a lot to live up to. And it delivered in full. I felt it was an excellent conclusion to this incredible series. The intensity of it is high, the action sequences are taut, and the acting is, once again, well done and controlled.

The movie picks up right where Supremacy finished, but you don't have to have seen the previous movies to get right into it. It helps, and you get more out of it if you know the first two, but it is not an absolute requirement. There are a number of action sequences that are all believable and exciting, including a parkour-esque foot chase, a slamming car chase (a theme in all three movies), and a couple of good gun fights and close combat scenes.

I have only three very minor complaints against the movie:
  1. Julia Stiles' Nikki. I felt that Julia Stiles was a subtle but perfect addition to the first two movies, and I hoped to see more of her in this one. While I think she does, technically, have more screen time, I wanted more. I feel like she and Matt Damon have good chemistry in their scenes and I wanted to see a little more of that. Maybe a little more of Bourne relaxing in her company.
  2. Joan Allen. I really like Joan Allen and think she is an awesome actress. However, she needs a serious cheeseburger or two. She looks way too thin in this movie. I hope it was simply a choice she made to show the stresses that Pamela Landy is under and that she will be back to a healthier looking weight in her next role.
  3. Shaky Cam. My only complaint about Paul Greengrass's direction is the damned use of Shaky Cam. Stop! I shouldn't need to take Dramamine before watching a movie or to feel the excitement of the action going on. It doesn't put me any more "in the moment" than a steady-cam and good choreography does. Mr. Greengrass, everything else in Supremacy and Ultimatum is so superbly done, why did you feel the need to "add" to the tension with shaky cam? If I never see another thing with shaky cam I will be a happy person.
My other complaint has nothing to do with the movie itself. The woman who sat next to me was one of those people who has to whisper, loudly, all of her questions. "Who is that?" "Wasn't she in the last movie?" "What did he say?" "Ooh, I bet he's a bad guy."

I finally said, "Why don't you try just watching the movie-- I'm sure you'll get it if you pay attention." (Okay, I don't remember exactly what I said, but I did try to present it somewhat politely. Since her boyfriend didn't try to come get me or wait for me after the film, I guess I succeeded.)

At least she and her boyfriend whispered much more quietly from then on... and I'm sure it was all about the rude bald guy next to them. I don't care; at least they were quiet from that point on.

If you like strong action movies, Matt Damon, or the previous two films, you will need to see this one. It doesn't disappoint.

Other Things to Watch

I recommend if you have the chance to check out the following shows:

Burn Notice. The first show that I feel taps into the same general feel of Magnum, P.I. It has a decent main character, who is interesting and aptly played. It has a couple of costars used to back him up and for a little levity. Good interplay between all of the stars. A good mix between action, drama, and humor.

The Kill Point. I feel that this show has all of the heightened drama of 24, the good interplay between the various stars and complex plot ideas of a Prison Break, but is also more believable and down to earth than either of those two. I'm a fan of John Leguizamo and feel that he is doing some fine work here. Here's hoping they can continue to bring this as drama and gripping entertainment without devolving into melodrama. Donny Wahlberg is good as the negotiator who is trying to get the release of the hostages.

Psych. This is mostly a sugary sweet treat. Is an hour long comedy, about a guy who is very gifted at seeing and sorting through data presented to him with an eye for detail, who presents himself as a psychic in order to be allowed to help the police solve crimes. He and his co-conspirator friend have good chemistry. Now, this show doesn't try to wow you with the mysteries (I have figured out who "dunnit" within the first 10 minutes of every show I've watched), it is more so you can be amused by how this guy figures it out and gets the cops (and others) to follow along and find out too. Corbin Bernsen is surprisingly good as the father.

Eureka. I didn't expect to like this show and wouldn't be surprised if people dislike it. However, I like the Sheriff, his daughter, Henry, and the rest of the crazy crew. I like that it is primarily about smart people doing smart things, as opposed to the trend of shows and movies we had about dumb people being dumb. The effects get a little over the top sometimes, and I hope that Olivia D'Abo doesn't become a regular, but all in all the show has grown on me and I enjoy it.

Some shows I haven't quite made it to yet (but are on the TiVo): Damages and The Company, both of which I expect to like. Maybe I'll update this post or make a new one once I've watched them and formed an opinion.

1 comment:

  1. I have heard good things about The Bourne Ultimatum, but I'm having a hard time gearing up to see this one because of the 'shaky cam.' I found it made Supremacy so hard to watch at times that my enjoyment of that film was severely marred, and I don't know if I want to suffer through it for Ultimatum.

    Re: the woman. We had someone like that when we went to see "The Simpsons" except in her case, she felt it was necessary to repeat every joke and plot point. It was more than a little annoying.

    ReplyDelete