Copyright

All blog posts, unless otherwise noted, are copyrighted to the Author (that's me) and may not be used without written permission.

August 8, 2007

Pork

I hate cooking pork. I can never tell when it is done or if it is going to be juicy and good or tough and rubbery. A couple days ago I took three pork steaks out of the freezer, dethawed them, Shaked n' Baked them all according to the directions. I have eaten two of the three, and both were entirely white, juicy, and maybe just a tad overdone along the edges.

Today I went to reheat the last one, with the remaining green beans, for lunch. I wasn't sure if the meat was hot throughout, so I cut it in half to heat one more time. When I did, I noticed the entire middle of the pork steak was still pink! I'm talking, raw, uncooked, pink.

How is it possible to take three steaks, all virtually the same size, all dethawed for the same amount of time and in the same microwave, all cooked in the same stove at the same time, and two come out just about right and the third is still raw?

Anyway, I'm nuking the hell out of it to make sure it is white throughout before eating. Even still, a P'zone from Pizza Hut (granting they have dough today) is sounding better and better.

2 comments:

  1. The good news is, according to the food channel, that pork is safe to be eaten when it is still slightly pink--it has to do with the eradication of trichynosis yada yada yada. No longer must pork be cooked to dry, tasteless, colorless cardboard, which is good news for your Shake 'n Bake method.

    The bad news is, recalling family history, one does not always die from eating uncooked meat, especially uncooked hamburger ... but if ever anyone were going to perish from pork, it would be you, so best to recook than risk death.

    And, a big smile for the family folly of "dethawing," which would technically mean to freeze, because to unfreeze is to "thaw."

    Haven't heard it in a while and it brought back many fond memories.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I find with our nuker, that if you don't rearrange the meat when the machine beeps, multiple pieces will not thaw equally. It could be that the third piece didn't thaw through so didn't cook well in the oven.

    ReplyDelete