Copyright

All blog posts, unless otherwise noted, are copyrighted to the Author (that's me) and may not be used without written permission.

January 22, 2007

He Tasks Me, Starbuck

M is quick to point out to me that getting the Italian Delight sandwich made correctly (and by that I mean according to the directions/ingredients listed on the wall minus the one item I don’t like) has become my white whale.

I had to get some meds today, and I use the Sav-On pharmacy within that Albertson's. So, I ordered The Sandwich.

Dorothy and I walked up, were the only two in line, and she can verify that I said to the guy who has helped me at least a half dozen times with this sandwich, “Italian Delight, no onions or tomatoes.” Because it was this guy, I had to add “onions” as he always includes them even though they are not listed for the sandwich.

He smiled, as he knew what I was going to order, repeated the order back to me, and then got to work. I walked to the other side of the store to the pharmacy, took care of my business there, and came back as he was finishing the sandwich.

Back at the office, I carefully took the sandwich out of its bag, unwrapped it from the paper and, lo and behold, there were onions and tomatoes. Dorothy, in her uniquely sarcastic way of putting things said, “Well, at least you got lettuce this time!” True enough, Doro. True enough.

Now, normally I would complain. Normally I would be there asking for the manager. But I’ve actually had the manager prepare the sandwich incorrectly! It is insane.

As one who worked retail in customer-oriented positions for quite some time, I just do not understand how an entire department of people can get this so consistently wrong. This guy adds onions and frequently forgets lettuce. Another feels the cheese is unimportant and tries to add mustard and mayo to it and put it on a French roll. The manager also adds additional condiments and goes for the French roll and often includes the tomatoes. The only woman to get it right, the exact way I always order it, is the woman who sometimes works there on loan from the bakery. I guess the bakers are used to having customers being specific in what they want?

The sandwich is so tasty and such a good value that I keep going back. And each time is an adventure! When ordering it, I can almost feel the salt water spray on my face. When I get the sandwich and see how they have mangled it, it feels like the whale ramming my bow. And yet, I keep signing on for another stint at whaling—am I glutton for punishment?

1 comment:

  1. I believed someone defined insantiy as doing the same thing over and over again, expecting different results?

    You're certainly patient. That must be a damn fine sandwich... I woulda quit long ago.

    ReplyDelete