Copyright

All blog posts, unless otherwise noted, are copyrighted to the Author (that's me) and may not be used without written permission.

January 8, 2007

6 Years

Today is my 6-year anniversary at my present employer. Which officially makes this the longest I have been employed with one company. My previous employer let me go a few months before my 6 year anniversary because "(we) don't need technical writers any more." Of course, at that point, I was hardly doing any technical writing for them and they wound up having to hire someone to take over all those other tasks I was doing within 2 months of letting me go. And then they hired new tech writers within 6 months to cover those they got rid of. Stupid.

My present employment has undergone quite a few changes over these years. The company was purchased. I've survived quite a few purges of employees. Our stock went in the crapper and then crawled its way back out 3 years later. We've purchased quite a few competitors. We have sunsetted and dawned a few product lines. We are currently undergoing a shift of programming and support to India (neither of which is going very well, but management insists that having Indian programmers having to redo things 2-3 times is still less expensive than having an American programmer do it right once). I fought for and managed to get a "Lead" title only to see the company redo its titling policies (I'm now an "Engineer 2").

I'll be sad to leave this place, as it has provided quite a few challenges and interesting times. The people, above all, have made it a great place to work. However, it is looking like this place may have me for another 8-9 months right now, so no need to dwell on that yet!

No comments:

Post a Comment