Copyright

All blog posts, unless otherwise noted, are copyrighted to the Author (that's me) and may not be used without written permission.

January 27, 2007

Annoyingly Polite

I hate grocery shopping. Most stores aren't designed in a way that makes sense to me (why aren't all the bread products together? Why are beverages spread out-- some here, some there, some over here). The "help" is, rarely, helpful. And don't get me started on the grocery store cards in order to get "savings" -- what a rip!

So, today, I had to go to the store. I pulled in and the parking lot was a mad-house; uh oh. Never a good sign. However, inside, it wasn't too hectic. I cruised the rows, finding my various products (still noting that the store hasn't improved its selection even with all the suggestion cards I have filled out).

Everything went as smoothly as it normally does, with me forgetting the aisles in which some of the items I want are located. As I pulled up to check out, I saw my worst nightmare: a peppy young girl doing the bagging in this row. It was obvious this was her first job and she was so excited about it. She was smiling and talking a mile a minute.

What she hasn't learned yet is that people may not want to hear her endless prattling about every little thing that flits through her head. I'm sure it is important to her, but I don't give a damn. On top of that, she was making comments that could be construed as anti-store and anti-customer.

She made some comments about how working at grocery stores is not the best job you could start with, but it pays the rent (ha, ha, ha) and you get to see so many different people. Next, she disparaged the fact that I was buying cat food and litter. Apparently, she doesn't like cats and is allergic. Lastly, she commented on the large amount of beverages I was buying. What's it to her? I drink a lot of things and I like variety in my liquids. She doesn't know; maybe I'm having a party tonight. Maybe I have children at home. Who knows?

I looked at the older gentleman who was the checker. We shared a look, and both rolled our eyes. And in that moment I knew I had become one of those people. I know we were both thinking, "She's young... she'll learn."

And then, to top it all off, she said, "Can I help you to your car, sir?" Now, I know they are all supposed to say that and be polite-- but it still took me back. And then it struck me-- I'm close to 20 years her senior. I probably look like every other adult in the store that day to her young eyes.

Now, don't get me wrong-- I'm pleased as punch she has her first job. I think it is great she is getting this experience in before she graduates High School. And she is perky and nice; she hasn't learned that people suck and will stomp on you as soon as look at you. I hope she keeps her positive attitude and has a happy life. But, that doesn't change the fact that I don't want to hear it. And I don't want to experience it.

Does this mean I am getting... dare I say it... old?

1 comment:

  1. In Shakespeare's soliloquy on the 7 ages of man, he suggests that we come into the world--and leave it--as mewling, puking children. In between, there is the stage of too old to listen to children prattle and not old enough to be prattling one's self: I'd say about YOUR age.

    When I find myself wanting to prattle, I forcefully shut my teeth tight and resist with all my might. Sometimes, I give in and let forth with some awful inanity that embarasses me and stuns those around me into awkward silence.

    And that's when I remember how little other people care about or want to hear about ... me ... or anything else that is not about themselves. I finish counting out the correct change, another embarassment of old age, close up my purse, and leave before I can do further damage to the social environment.

    This, too, shall pass.

    ReplyDelete