Copyright

All blog posts, unless otherwise noted, are copyrighted to the Author (that's me) and may not be used without written permission.

April 29, 2006

Poem

A long while back I mentioned that I was working on a poem (July 2005). Well, the original thought came out quickly, but I was dissatisfied with the form and some of the lines. It has taken until now to be mostly happy with the result. I won't say this poem is finished, as I don't think any poem I've ever written is "finished," but it is done-- for now.

No permission is given to copy or link to the following poem without written approval from the author-- me.

The Wood Nymph

I stand mesmerized by your form and grace
Struck spellbound by your splendid woodland race.
I lurk outside your dell, hoping for a glance
Of your body as you start your woodland dance.

I enter your glade and passion fills your dance;
And smiling lips sing songs of birth, growth, romance.
With your naked beauty and laughing eyes
You elicit heartfelt and lovelorn sighs.

I sit on your grass and against your birch tree;
Slowly you spin your untamed dance around me.
Your sprightly songs ease from fulfillment and light
To a dissonance of dark, decay, and night.

The eldritch spells you weave root me to your ground
Deep inside wild woods where I cannot be found.
Your claws scratch me naked as a newborn
And your grass and tree-roots hold me forlorn.

I scream, thrash, then grind and gnash my teeth in fear.
I strayed from the path long ago, none are near.
The charming nymph beguiled me with beauty-
This untamed being holds me at her mercy.

Only now, when I lay naked and helpless,
Do I take time to gaze deeper and notice;
Lost, alone, unguarded, I am yours to keep-
Feral woodland creature of the forest deep.

No comments:

Post a Comment