Copyright

All blog posts, unless otherwise noted, are copyrighted to the Author (that's me) and may not be used without written permission.

June 10, 2005

New TV

I need to buy a new television. I would like to get one that fits into my current cabinet, which limits the sizes I can purchase. I currently have a 27" TV with about 4-5 inches to spare in my cabinet, so up to around 30" is likely doable (yes, I need to measure exactly; I'm getting there!).

Whatever I get MUST play DVDs as clearly as possible. I have some 120 DVDs (and counting), and equal number of VHS, and am a Netflix whore. Which means I'm leaning toward a TV with the nice digital connectors for DVD and VHS players. I also have a surround sound receiver and speakers to which I would want to connect the TV (which I cannot do with my existing TV).

Do I stay with a standard TV picture tube? Should I look long-term at a rear projection TV or a flat-panel TV of some sort? Should I get the movie aspect ratio screen (16:9) or a standard square picture?

I am constantly reading about the changing standards in TVs and in the broadcast signals which makes the decision more difficult. Apparently, a new law was just passed that will stop manufacturers from making TVs with analog receivers starting in about a month. Everything is being forced to digital. First, why is the government passing laws over such stuff and, second, digital receivers are much more expensive than analog receivers (typically by one to two hundred dollars).

There is always the great High Definition tuner debate raging in my head. Should I get a set without HD (much lower cost). Should I get one that is "compatible" (higher cost, but still requires a separate tuner). Should I get one that is fully compatible (has all equipment). If I go this route, will I actually sign up with an HD provider? Or will I be paying for something I will never use.

If I do get a digital TV tuner, will I actually upgrade to a digital tuner from my cable provider? Or will I stick with the no thrills service I have now? I am leaning toward the digital tuner even now, so I would likely upgrade at least that portion.

I cannot watch TV without my TiVo anymore. When friends suggested it would change the way I watch TV, I scoffed. But they were absolutely right. You get used to being able to pause live TV, rewind, schedule it to record things from work when a work-mate suggests a show you might like, etc. So, I have to make sure that the new technology I get does not interfere with my TiVo, DVD player, etc.

I live upstairs. Most of the 27" or bigger TVs I would be interested in weigh in at 100 lbs or more. I have to get that thing up the stairs and into the cabinet and my current TV down those stairs. Should I pay for delivery and/or set up?

Lastly, where do I put my current TV. It still works and could make someone a nice starting TV for whatever years it has left in it. It is feature poor and has two small burn spots starting in it (the main reasons I want to replace it), but someone who cannot normally afford a TV would probably be thrilled to get it. Is Goodwill a good idea? Should I try to give it away? What about trying to sell it cheap?

I hate these mid-range decisions. They are expensive enough you want to think them through, yet low-cost enough that all this planning and thinking seems strangely useless. In some ways the big purchases (like a car) are much easier.

Decisions, decisions.

7 comments:

  1. Buying a TV has become as complicated or even more complicated than buying a computer. For that matter buying a HD version is as expensive as a computer.

    I'd recommend buying an AV Receiver to go with your new TV, one that includes Component video to match the Component inputs on your TV. This way you can setup your TiVo and DVD and VHS players to all go through the Receiver and have the audio and video switch together.

    If I was in the market for a 30" HD TV at the moment, I would probably buy a 30" LCD HD monitor with a widescreen aspect. Ideally the TV would allow you to remove the worthless little speakers that the TV manufacturers are obligated to continue offering.

    Best of luck.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Moms always end up telling the REST of the story! Hehehe!

    I think I agree with Chris, your basic TV is now kind of out-of-date (which is sort-of a slap in the face to the TV I bought this time last year, but it was 36" and was a great price). Receiver is also a great idea. Couldn't handle watching TV without the surround sound now, the speakers in the TV itself are cruddy.

    Is the cabinet that important? What if you find something you really like but it won't work in the cabinet?

    Having 2 TVs in one apartment is out of the question (says the girl with 3 TVs, 3 VCRs, 1 DVD player, surround sound, full stereo cabinet...)?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Liz is right as well. Buy an LCD that you can hang on the wall and drop the cabinet completely. It's time to join the flatscreen world (says the boy with an ancient 27" TV that makes widescreen DVDs look like postage stamps). At least I've got a great surround sound system with a top of the line subwoofer!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm not ready to join the flat screen revolution yet. There are still too many issues for me; like the fact most need degaussing and adjustment every 2 years still as well as the price, which still is high for me.

    I have a pretty good receiver, 5.1 surround sound with a great subwoofer, and a decent 27" standard TV that is just getting a little long in the tooth.

    If I find the "perfect" TV that does not fit in the cabinet, I will get it anyway. I can put the cabinet to other uses if need be.

    There is a really nice rear-projection 42" TV by Akai that I've looked at more than once....

    >;-)

    ReplyDelete
  5. TV shopping is evil. You always get sucked into thinking it's not large enough or it doesn't have enough toys... evil. Pure evil.

    ReplyDelete
  6. My vote is get something wtih a DVI input then invest in a cheapo mini tower w/ XP MC edition with a fancy card (dvi connectable of course) w/ NTSC & ATSC tuners plus a nifty sound card (Audigy 2ZS is great!). This eliminates your Tivo subscription yay it's free if you have XP-MC. It eliminates your quandry about what tuners to have or not have on the tv. AND you actually get a digital picture - YIPPEE!!!

    Liz what's this about 1 tv per apartment??? Hahaha!!! 3 tv's, dvd player, 2 vcr's, home theatre, who knows what else & a myriad of computers, a server and assorted other ridiculous electronics. MUST HAVE MORE ELECTRONICS! Insert evil laugh here.

    ReplyDelete
  7. This sounds like an expert talking.

    I like you... toys is good. ;-)

    ReplyDelete