Copyright

All blog posts, unless otherwise noted, are copyrighted to the Author (that's me) and may not be used without written permission.

July 8, 2005

Ordained Minister

Okay, I admit it. I’m a loon. I’m crazy. Anyone who knows me well will give me that patient smile and slow shake of the head I’ve gotten so used to seeing when they read this one. I’m sure mom will have some interesting comments as well.

Awhile back, I stumbled on a web site that proclaimed it would legally ordain me as a clergy person for their church for free. For some reason at that time, I thought that was cool. So I filled everything out and expected to hear back immediately from them (they claimed “instant ordainment” after all). Nada. Nothing. Zilch. That was long ago enough that I had forgotten all about it.

Today, as I’m sitting at work, I get an email notification. I open it and it is from the church. I have now been ordained by the Church of Spiritual Humanism to perform religious rites and ceremonies including marriage, baby naming, funeral services, invocations, and holiday ceremonies as permitted by the laws and regulations of my state and country. Not valid in Canada (they wouldn’t approve the church’s request) or the UK.

And I am ordained for life!

Apparently, the tenets I am supposed to espouse as a clergy member are reason and deliberation. I am to peacefully follow the proper course of action and to avoid infringing on the rights of others. I am to denounce the irrational and subjective.

While this church does not specifically espouse Christian tenets, I am allowed to incorporate any belief systems from external sources that do not infringe on the basic tenets of reason and deliberation.

----
So, you all now know an ordained clergy member (OCM) for the Church of Spiritual Humanism.

How funny is that?

7 comments:

  1. Anonymous3:03 PM

    No, no no, this is not funny at all. This is simply frightning! :)

    -mbh

    ReplyDelete
  2. Just shaking my head!

    ReplyDelete
  3. What's really bizarre? I think this is fabulous!!! I might even sign up myself - even though it's not valid in Canada! HAHAHAHA!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. You're crazy... all of you. [shakes head and laughs]

    ReplyDelete
  5. Let me know, Terri-Lynn. I think I may be getting "free passes" to ordain you when I get my kit.

    And, of course, maybe we can set up a "ministry" in Canada-- then the gov't will have to recognize us!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Do Not pass Go, Do Not collect $200, unless you have a free pass to "marry or bury"

    ROFLMAO!!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh now if we're setting up a ministry then I'll have to be the Halifax outpost! Hahaha! Could I just have a mission here in Halifax? LOL

    ReplyDelete