Copyright

All blog posts, unless otherwise noted, are copyrighted to the Author (that's me) and may not be used without written permission.

October 25, 2005

Secret Santa

A few years back our group of friends implemented a (sort of) Secret Santa strategy for Christmas. This plan has saved each of us time and money.

Everyone wants to get gifts for everyone else, of course. As the group got larger and things like couple-hood/marriage and children complicated things and further expanded the group, it just became impractical.

In our group, the typical plan is as follows:
• Elisa is generally our “ring leader” for getting this going.
• She provides the emails of each participant to a family member who acts as the neutral party and then randomly draws everyone’s name and assigns one person to another (throwing out the off times when a person is drawn for their own name).
• A dollar amount is set (usually $40), and everyone provides a list of items to a generic location that everyone can access. We actually have a Yahoo! Group set up for our Secret Santa chats and lists.
• Each person receives an email from the neutral party with their Secret Santa person and they check the Yahoo! Group for that person’s gift list.
• We all try to stay as close to the monetary limit as possible, so no one feels “cheated.”

This system has served us pretty well. With only a few minor bumps and hiccups along the way, it has saved the group time, money, and frustrations in shopping for gifts. It has been a godsend for me, because I know some of the group (and spouses) better than others. Before this plan, it was difficult to find things for those I didn’t know quite as well. I got stressed and frustrated when I wound up having to get gift certificates or other “lame” gifts (in my mind). And the added benefit is that we all get together for a nice party, eat some good food, and celebrate the holiday together.

This plan allows anyone who chooses to go outside of the Secret Santa to do so separately. For example, some like to get gifts for the children in the group. Some choose to get individual gifts for others who are not their secret person. This is fine, but is done on an individual basis and outside the Secret Santa process so that it does not affect the camaraderie of the get-together and does not reflect on anyone else who only provides the Secret Santa gift(s).

I comment on this now because I spoke with Elisa today. She is excited to get this process rolling now for this year’s Secret Santa and I am enthusiastic to get my person and start looking for a gift.

Now, all I have to do is think of something for my girlfriend, family, nephew, and a few, select friends outside of our normal group. But at least one group is easy to take care of!

1 comment:

  1. I organized Secret Santa and Wascally Wabbit at my worksite for 3 years; when I wanted to let someone else do it, no one volunteered and it went away. It really added a needed level of social interaction during the holidays while taking the pressure off the gift-giving scenario.

    Lots of families do this, too, especially when the family is large. My vote is for the family gift-giving to concentrate on the children, rather than the adults.

    ReplyDelete