Copyright

All blog posts, unless otherwise noted, are copyrighted to the Author (that's me) and may not be used without written permission.

October 27, 2005

Pizza Party

The two most popular flavors of pizza are cheese and pepperoni. So, when my company announced that our division was having a "pizza party," I actually decided to join in. When I got down there, I counted 20 boxes of pizza sitting on the table. I opened every single box, looking for either a slice of pepperoni or cheese to enjoy. Maybe a Hawaiian. Something without fungus or veggies. What I came across were all specialty pizzas that had "the works" or "supreme" in the title.

I saw chicken supreme (mushrooms, onions, and tomato chunks), veggie supreme, "the works" (a little bit of everything), and similar. Every single pizza they ordered had at least two, but most had more, vegetables on it. Many had fungus (my way of saying mushrooms).

On top of this, they were from California Pizza Kitchen, a company that has a hard time leaving well enough alone. They used every kind of cheese you can imagine except mozzerella. The slice I eventually took, a chicken and mushroom job that I thought I could pick off all the fungus/vegetables fairly easily and eat with no problems, was made with ricotta cheese and had a white sauce instead of tomato sauce as its base. On top of that, there were so many onions involved that I just gave up. Wasn't worth the effort.

As I was leaving, Tom, the guy who did the ordering, was complaining that they were going to have a lot of leftovers and that it seemed like many people didn't like the selection. Well, duh! In ordering for 150 people you serviced the 20 people who are vegetarians and the 30 more who like pizzas with odd combinations and multiple items. You did not service the needs of the vast majority of people. If the grumblings and comments I heard as I walked back to my cubicle were any indication, most chose to just get a side salad and a drink and ignore the pizzas.

I know it is boring to order cheese and pepperoni pizzas. But they are the top two selling pizzas for a reason. You cannot go wrong with them and a vast majority of people will eat one or both of them.

Now I'm still hungry. Maybe I'll drive through the local Taco Bell/Pizza Hut and get a pepperoni personal pizza to satisfy this craving.

*sigh

5 comments:

  1. I always have this problem too! Glad to find a fellow fungus hater. Hehe! I've been known to order at restaurants and ask them to hold the fungus. I get funny looks, but really... that's what it is right? Gross. Is it so hard to just pick a generic pizza like pepperoni so that everyone can enjoy?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I do not want anyone to think that my son is/was a picky eater, but this is so typical of living with John!

    ReplyDelete
  3. And that's why we get along. I *am* a picky eater. I only like ground beef & bacon on my pizza. No fungus, and green peppers still stink up a pizza even after you pick them off. Yuck!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Luckily we are capable of surviving while hungry for extended periods of time.
    What always happens to me, particularly at work, is the ordering of specialty pizzas and "normal" pizzas only to have everyone devour the "normal" pizza before touching the speciality pizza.
    I understand the rationale of going after the high demand pizza first since they know there will be plenty of the specialty pizza later, but for those of us who refuse to eat fungus it really sucks!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Anonymous3:13 PM

    I'd be happy to ship you some personal-sized pepperoni pizzas. I've got a couple dozen in the freezer. My neighbor works for a convenience store chain, and she's always bringing home great samples. Like cases of pizza. She asks for one, gets one case. You should've seen donut week, when she needed "one" of about 15 different kinds...

    ReplyDelete