Copyright

All blog posts, unless otherwise noted, are copyrighted to the Author (that's me) and may not be used without written permission.

October 24, 2005

Mostly for My Own Peace of Mind

How M and I met:

She was clicking the Next Blog button, stopped on mine, liked what I wrote, and commented. This led me to her blog, where I liked what I read, and commented.

It then evolved into an organic process of talking, getting to know one another, and, finally, meeting in person. It just happened to start using the internet as our primary medium. We are still dating and do not know what the future holds in store for our budding romance.

I love relating our tale. It is romantic and involves the right mix of coincidence, fate, and recognition between two similar souls.

NOT How M and I met:

Via an Online Dating Service. I'm not sure why so many people hear the story related above and then immediately turn around and tell their friends that M and I met via an ODS. An ODS is a specific means by which people post stats about themselves, meet, and check compatibility. Many are nothing more than meat markets. The higher-end ODSs, like eHarmony, use profiles and detailed algorithms to match people on likes, dislikes, and general needs/wants. There are many success stories, but many more failures.

I will SCREAM if one more person comes up and says, "So, I hear you met a girl through an online dating service. How was it? Which one did you use?"

I have nothing against the various ODSs out there. Use them if you wish. Post comments to this blog entry about your success stories. And I will even grant that our story has certain similarities to the processes by which the various ODSs match people and allow them to get to know one another.

But please do not tell others that M and I met via an ODS. It just is not true.

2 comments:

  1. You seem to have a lot more people coming at you with inappropriate questions or statements than I do. I've had people ask how we met, but it depends on who I am talking to whether or not I mention the blog. If someone assumes online dating and asks that, I will say no, but I don't go any farther than that. They usually take the hint that I don't wish to discuss it in detail.

    This was indeed how we met. Not to take the tarnish away from the successful online dating experiences though. My brother met his soon-to-be wife through an online dating service. Like anything, there are good stories and there are bad stories. Thankfully neither you nor I turned out to be the 40 year-old man in ratty underwear. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like the "cosmic coincidence" theory, sort of like Romeo & Juliet in reverse: theirs were crossed stars and yours were stars aligned right with the heavens. The chances were slim, but there were still chances. Who was the singer who crooned about eyes meeting across a crowded room?

    PS: If I were to meet a man, any man, anywhere, any time, he'd be the 70-year-old man drooling down his chin and wearing a nappie, which is one of the myriad reasons I'm not out there looking--or randomly clicking on blogs!

    ReplyDelete