Copyright

All blog posts, unless otherwise noted, are copyrighted to the Author (that's me) and may not be used without written permission.

June 12, 2005

Flows like Water

Well, I took some advice from Chris and once again took a stab at fixing my overly complicated DVD, VHS, Receiver, TiVo, TV setup. I picked up some S-Video cables recently, and used that to link to my receiver. I have everything running through the receiver and out to the TV now, which means I got rid of two cables and the entire switch box I was using before. The only thing sound-wise not going through the receiver is my TV. This is good because the cable signal, for some reason, winds up a half-second behind the display when I run the TV through the Receiver. It shouldn't, but does, so every show is like watchng Kung Fu Theatre on Saturday morning. This is bad because one of the speakers on the TV has a small short in it and sometimes gets real quiet. Best to just ignore the receiver and use the speakers. It's not like I watch a lot of TV without the TiVo anyway.

The other bad thing is that I had to take the VHS out of the loop for now. I couldn't get it to display and have sound at that same time. I think I may have just been tired, and I'll look at it again today sometime. It's only noon, so I have time to review today.

Dad, as an electrician, telephone guy, and teacher of electronics on the Marine Corps base, insists that electricity should flow like water. As long as you use that analogy and install your cables accordingly, everything should work and the signal/sound should "flow" from one device to the next in perfect harmony. My only response to this: I must not know how water flows. I do some sort of overly complicated version that usually ends up working, but uses about ten more cables, a couple of switch boxes, and duct tape in order to get the same result. Reminds me of those cartoons-- can't remember the cartoonist, but he was famous for presenting overly complicated devices to do simple things. Many of the Tom & Jerry cartoons used this same principle when demonstrating how to catch the mouse.

BTW, I've tried several of the $15-40 "universal" remotes and they all suck. I saw one recently that looked like a Palm Pilot, was about $150 and actually was truly programmable and you could download new devices through a USB cable and an internet connection. Anyone have an opinion on their successful use? I am, frankly, willing to pay this kind of money if I can truly have one remote that will actually run every device (and all the little features). Post a response with your opinions, please!

6 comments:

  1. Wiring, yeah. I can usually hook up most things, but I found my surround sound just a little too complicated to hook up properly, so I've enlisted older brother to help with that when he comes home this week. He's in his element with that stuff so who am I to deny him a chance to do his thing? :)

    I think I am the only person on the planet who enjoys having a ton of remotes. I have 9, and I can use all of them without needing to look at them and read the buttons. I find you just can't get a universal that will handle every little feature like the original remote.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have many remotes that I am happy with. I have some I am not. I have two remotes that run most products okay EXCEPT for the device it came with!

    ARGH! Save me!

    One Remote to bring them forth and in the Darkness bind them!! My precious.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Simple setups are better. The KISS principle has become my mantra. When I wasn't chasing kids around or driving the 140 miles up to Twentynine Palms, I was helping my parents setup their new computer. They have a very complicated setup with three printers, UPS, surround speaker system and other miscellaneous devices. I spent most of my time cleaning up the cables and trying to route things cleanly.

    This weekend was definitely not about me, but rather my family. That’s a good thing on occasion, but it has left me totally drained this morning. I think it's fair to say that work is not getting my best performance. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I hear you on the work not getting the best performance. I don't think I woke up until about 2pm today. That's what happens when you don't drink coffee.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Check out the Logitech Harmony remote. It's good fun and works well. BTW, why are you paying for tivo when you can now do it for free??? Silly boy.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Our cable company is only just now providing a DVR system with their digital boxes. I don't even use a box (yet-- I am thinking of going digital) to get their services.

    I've upgraded my TiVo box with an additional harddrive and I do like their software system. The cable company's is a different software and you're not allowed to upgrade it.

    ReplyDelete