Copyright

All blog posts, unless otherwise noted, are copyrighted to the Author (that's me) and may not be used without written permission.

June 9, 2008

Going, Going...

The days have been a blur.

I have been working like a fiend to pack, plan, prepare, and prioritize my trip from here to Saint John, NB, Canada. All the time I am also dealing with literally a score of people wanting to know what is going on, exterior forces that have their own agendas (mostly business people who don't seem to realize that I need them NOW), and juggling my emotions.

As of today, the apartment is pretty far along the path toward being packed up. I still have a lot of work to do tomorrow, of course, but it is far along. The hitch is on the truck (even if the ball was installed upside down on the ball assembly), damn near every scrap of food is gone from the apartment, the closets are empty, and all of the furniture except the PC desk is gone. Some of these became adventures that made the steps trials in their own right.

I picked up a TomTom GPS for the trip, to help us get where we're going safely, and for my first few months (and maybe longer!) in Canada, as I won't know my way around very well. TomTom has maps of most of North America, so it will work in both places. And I can upgrade the maps if needed.

Tomorrow is going to be pressure-packed, as we are determined to leave on Tuesday, June 10th. I need to get my car serviced, finish packing, call a few places, mail an important document, and get that trailer held for Tuesday. Oh, and update the front office of my apartment of the new date I will be leaving.

The first step of the journey may be a little one; depending on how long everything takes tomorrow and Tuesday morning, we may only make it to Desert Hot Springs before stopping and resting. We may make it to Chris' house in Scottsdale, AZ. We may make it farther. But Tuesday is the day we're scheduled as long as I can get an appropriate-sized trailer and everything else is done.

I've spent days getting all of my personal items updated with appropriate addresses, tentative dates of leaving, etc. And then there was Caly; I won't go into that decision any further, but I am missing her.

So, I'm somewhere around 36 hours from possibly leaving the only area I've ever known for the great adventure that is married life, Canada, and the east coast of the continent. To weather and ice hockey. And, of course, living with my wife.

Some time tomorrow, my PC will go dark for around a week. During this time, I will not have any access to email, my blog, Facebook, or any other PC-related communication. We will keep M informed of our stages and she will keep you abreast of our status. Wish us luck that the trip will go smoothly and uneventfully.

3 comments:

  1. Safest travels!!! I will have all fingers and toes crossed!! Can't wait to have a celebratory BBQ at the lake once you arrive and get your land legs back!!!

    *HUGS*
    TL

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anonymous1:33 PM

    Not sure what kind of truck / hitch you have, but some ball hitches are intentionally installed upside down so that it doesn't interfere and is out of the way with the operation of the trailer/door hatch when no trailer is hooked on. If the ball had a pin and lock mechanism that made it easy to flip--I'm guessing it was installed that way on purpose.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Anonymous4:53 PM

    John, good luck to you as you finalize all the details of your trip. May you have a safe one. Take care and let us know when you are settled in how things are going with you. - Daralee

    ReplyDelete