Copyright

All blog posts, unless otherwise noted, are copyrighted to the Author (that's me) and may not be used without written permission.

June 1, 2008

Packing Up

Although it was her birthday, a fact that my very preoccupied mind had all but forgotten until my wife reminded me a few days ago, my mother came down today prepared to work. She arrived around 8:30 am and we immediately went to breakfast at Denny's (I prefer IHOP, but the one across the street sucks donkey kidneys and the other closest one is down by work, so I don't go to that one too often from here). We were back and ready to start work by about 9:30.

We started in the garage, just because we were already downstairs. First we got the not-a La-Z-Boy recliner that has been in the garage for about 5 years and wheeled it over to the garbage bins and threw it out. Next I confirmed the vast majority of the boxes were empty and awaiting use. Three boxes were left with stuff that I need to go through. There are some other items that need to be gone through, but those should be faster/easier. We put the really old, solid metal air compressor into her truck (heavy sucker!) which I had completely forgotten dad had given to me a few years ago. I would have liked to take it with me, but what do I really need with a 30 year old compressor?

We next got the armoire cleaned out (I had the majority of clothes out of it already, but the top had effects on it and there were some remaining clothes items inside) and we hauled that down to beside the trash bins. Mom convinced me not to throw it away and she was right; not long after putting it down there it mysteriously disappeared into someone else's home.

Next we cleaned off the remaining couple of things and got the big bookcase downstairs and next to the trash bins. It took much longer, but that, too, has mysteriously disappeared from the area.

The next item was the white bookcase in the front room. I had cleared the bottom two shelves but had not worked on the top or first shelf. So we cleared that junk off and then I worked on getting the case unstuck from the carpeting. Around this was one of the areas that Caly had "chosen" and the urine had, I was unaware until today, glued it to the carpeting. Very disgusting, but we got that down and we threw it away immediately. While someone may be able to use it, I couldn't in good conscience leave it out knowing that someone may have allergies or a sensitive nose and would take it and have issues.

The last item was the small love seat/couch. We took it down and a gentleman happened to be walking by who offered to assist us. He and I got it thrown into a different bin. This couch is covered in cat hair, was 10-years old when I got it from a friend at work, and had a bunch of cat scratching on it; if the dump-scroungers want to salvage it, so be it, but I wasn't going to leave it out for someone here.

We then finished her time here by tidying up here and there, making room, and cleaning some of the more egregious spots on the floor.

With the room we gained, I now have an area one inch smaller than the internal dimensions of the trailer I want to use marked in my bedroom. Well, actually the one I want to use and the one I think I will have to use. I am moving my boxes and bins into that area trying to determine realistically what size trailer I need, knowing that I am also going to use the back of my SUV to haul my more important items (my important documents, electronics, PC, etc.).

The bedroom is now mostly disabled. I have a few more books and one more bookshelf unit to get rid of. The closet in there is mostly done, but still has some stuff I have to get packed or ready for Goodwill.

My front room is looking a lot better, now that the couch and bookcase is gone. I do not plan to take my PC desk with me, nor the entertainment center. I now feel fairly confident that if I put them down by the bins, someone may find them useful.

The only known casualty along the way seems to be my brand new role of masking tape. It was on the white bookcase, I moved it off and, I thought, onto the bar. However, it is nowhere to be found. I've gone through all the new boxes we created, looked over everything we did, retraced my steps for the day as it relates to the apartment, and that role of masking tape is gone. Weird.

1 comment:

  1. Wow! sounds like a lot of good work done for onw day and two people!!

    When is the estimated time for leaving CA and arriving in SJ?

    ReplyDelete