Copyright

All blog posts, unless otherwise noted, are copyrighted to the Author (that's me) and may not be used without written permission.

September 3, 2007

Shower

I had asked for no parties or showers and, as a couple, we asked for no gifts (just donations to two causes near and dear to my heart). I have learned that M's mom's side of the family didn't really care, so Sunday was our shower (with gifts!). I met a nice number of that side of the family (I had met most of them previously, but intermittently and not for over a year). They are all pretty nice people and all seem excited about the upcoming wedding.

The party was nice; we were out on a lake or river at M's aunt Lorna's cottage. There was a nice amount of sandwiches and sweets available, and everyone was happy to get reacquainted with me. M's mom even seemed calm and relatively happy.

M did ask primarily for gift cards to various home stores around the town; we have plans to finish the bathroom in the basement so it is usable, as well as the rooms downstairs. But having a second bathroom would be a huge improvement to start. We did receive a bunch of those. In addition, we got some nice gifts relating to marriage; a set of purple towels, a couple of picture frames/books (one with nice pics in it- thanx Jenn!), a wedding calendar that comes with stickers to mark a bunch of the "first" of the relationship. Lastly, two of her aunts went together and bought an extremely nice, incredibly expensive Bible for us. This is the type of Bible that is generational and heirloom-worthy. It probably weighs around 10 lbs, has gold leaf edges, bound in leather, etc. Very nice gift.

(Yes, they all know I'm not Catholic and I am not converting. But just because I'm not Catholic doesn't mean I don't respect the gift and the quality and the meaning behind it. This is something we could pass on to children or grandchildren, if we have them. It was incredibly meaningful to them to get us that as a gift.)

The great thing about the party was that M was with me. She fills in some gaps I have, including my lack of enthusiasm for parties and get-togethers. So, having her there with me helped to keep me relaxed, happy, and in the moment. Jenn and M both said that I came across as such, too, so it all worked out.

Today is more wedding prep (M is getting some preliminary, womanly things done at the salon to which I was not invited, for obvious reasons, while I am home writing this), including figuring out the seating arrangements, programs, and maybe a few other things.

We think we have driving arrangements figured out for Friday and Saturday, and M has arrangements to pick up or help people with directions for most everyone to get them from the airport to where they are staying.

Everything seems to be coming together.

2 comments:

  1. Family and friends want to share this experience with both of you, so I am happy that you have joined them in so doing.

    Can't wait for the moment to arrive.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds like a nice afternoon. ^_^ I look forward to seeing you both Saturday!

    ReplyDelete