Copyright

All blog posts, unless otherwise noted, are copyrighted to the Author (that's me) and may not be used without written permission.

September 25, 2007

Proper Service

M and I had some issues with the Miramonte Resort and Spa in Indian Wells (south of Palms Springs). These issues included:
  • Not getting the room we were confirmed for upon check-in.
  • Having the manager on duty that night argue with us before relenting when we brought out the confirmation number/letter confirming our chosen room.
  • Room service being late (plus being charged for extra when we shouldn't have been).
  • Cleaning staff barging in when the Privacy note was up.
  • Cleaning staff being very late in getting to the room so that they were still there when we arrived back from things (4-5pm).
  • Service staff who spoke no English or ignored people if they did not understand the request.
  • Being charged an extra $50 for late check out.
One of the reasons people go to "resorts" over hotels is that a resort treats you with personal care. The word "no" is usually not in their vocabulary and they try to work with you to make your stay the best it can be.

This resort made the mistake of sending us a survey on our stay. M forwarded it to me and I filled it out. I tried not to be unduly harsh, but I also made a point of presenting the negatives, too.

Not 10 minutes after I entered the survey, M got an email from the Senior Assistant Hotel Manager for Miramonte Resort and Spa, Monty Crawford. She forwarded it to me and I called him to discuss my unfavorable review.

Monty is a personable guy who was very upset that we had such a poor visit at one of his establishments. I explained in a calm voice what my issues were, the names of those whom I remembered, and why we gave the resort a negative review. He understood completely and responded that our experience was not what the Miramonte expected or how they trained their staff to react to such instances.

He was more than happy to credit the $50 late check-out fee from our bill and he also said he would speak with all four managers who were involved with these issues to reiterate the resort's policies on these matters and the way in which this could have been handled better. As I told Monty, "I don't mind being told no as long as it is politely and with respect. What I objected to was how your staff kept telling me no." His reply is that they try not to use the word 'no' when dealing with customers and apologized for the crude behavior we experienced.

As a last ditch effort to appease me, Monty offered us a free weekend stay at his resort. We will deal directly with him on making the reservation and get the exact room and experience that we were expecting.

Monty Crawford understands the value of good service. He bent over backward to make sure I was happy by the end of the conversation. If only one of the many managers with whom we dealt during our stay had recognized our dissatisfaction and had accommodated us similarly, this wouldn't have gone so far.

Thank you, Monty Crawford.

3 comments:

  1. I sent a letter of complaint to the Hilton in SJ: crappy room, no amenities, noisy, poorly maintained, undergoing construction.

    I praised the employees, who provided excellent service, but the facility is not one I would recommend.

    I rec'd a reply from one employee, then took a satisfaction survey, then nothing.

    As I stated in my letter of concern, I expected "The Hilton Experience" to be a positive experience, not add more stress to an already stressful trip!

    Bottom line: I'll stay at another facility, pay less and probably enjoy it more.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Excellent! That is the sign of a man who cares about his customers.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I was in your room briefly when we dropped Mindy off. I was quite surprised about how dirty the carpet was. The Hilton is generally regarded as the best hotel in the city, but Chris & Cynthia's room at the Delta was much cleaner and nicer.

    ReplyDelete