Copyright

All blog posts, unless otherwise noted, are copyrighted to the Author (that's me) and may not be used without written permission.

September 5, 2007

Last Thing She Needs

M is pretty stressed about the wedding. We're in the home stretch, most things are done or have a plan, but she is still stressed. I'm trying to offer help and assistance when she'll let me and when she asks, but she wants to do most everything herself so that it is done exactly the way she wants it-- and I respect that. Her MoH is helping with this as much as she can, too (which is actually more than I'm allowed, as she understands the intricacies of M's wedding process better than I do).

However, things happen. On her blog, you may have read about her work laptop having issues. This morning, I go to boot up her home PC and it hangs and then a BSOD displays and it reboots itself after about 10 minutes or so. The internet connection I rely on to work from M's house is a bit glitchy as well. While I don't want to stress her out any further, I had to let her know about this as vital wedding data is stored on this machine. And I had to do it right away because, while knowing this will add more stress, waiting to tell her when she comes home from work will just add to her frustrations as she will want to work on more wedding stuff this evening.

There are glitches with every wedding. The event is too important and there are too many cogs in the machine for things not to go wrong. The trick is rolling with the punches, not letting these glitches wear you down or out, and enjoying the day when it arrives no matter what occurs. My hope is that these issues we're experiencing now are the glitches for this wedding and the day will run relatively smoothly.
____________

Addendum:
Looks like the data is still there and that it may simply be an error with Windows. Was able to boot into Safe Mode with Command Prompt and navigate around a bit... drive is responding in that regard. Might simply need a reinstall of Windows (as this OS is notorious for needing one on about a 1.5-2 year cycle, whether you think you should or not). I've unplugged the machine and set it out in the kitchen; M is coming later to pick it up and take it to work to back up the hard drive and pull data as needed.
____________

Post Script: M reformatted the hard drive to no avail. I used my work laptop (the only PC we have at the moment) to review Acer online and found something that seemed like it would help. Followed the commands and seem to have a working PC again. It appears that a modem driver might have been causing the issues, as whenever she or I installed the drivers, the problems started and since I have disabled that device, everything appears to be running okay. I have installed all of the Windows updates and we have a new, clean system. Hopefully we can reinstall all of the missing data elements and programs without re-incurring the glitch.

1 comment:

  1. FYI: computers all over the desert were down yesterday. I went to several gas stations and could not use my credit card. Same at the ATM. My home computer had no internet connectivity several times. I think it's all the storms! Every time we have high humidity, electronics suffer.

    Could be a terrorist plot; after all, the Chinese hacked into the Pentagon ...

    ReplyDelete