Copyright

All blog posts, unless otherwise noted, are copyrighted to the Author (that's me) and may not be used without written permission.

September 7, 2007

She Made It + Funny Side Story

We picked up Mom at the airport at 8:30 pm today. So, that means she left her house early morning on Thursday and got here about 36 hours later-- a new record for those in my family. She had hell from Air Canada reps getting them to understand what she needed, that she had connections to make, and that it was for a wedding.

However, she caught her first break in Toronto-- her plane in was an hour late (of course), but the next plane was rescheduled and she managed to make it. If she hadn't, we would be getting her about midnight instead (or, frankly, she would have just gone back home... and I wouldn't have blamed her at all).

It is still astounding to me that they told her repeatedly that they could not find a seat for her on any plane from 3 pm on Thursday through 11 am on Friday (Central time) from any airline. However, what they did book her own wound up getting her here, so we can't complain too much.

But I'm sure Air Canada will be getting a very detailed, very irate letter in the mail when she gets home!

---------

Funny side story-- We drove M's father's Aztek out to pick up mom, then (obviously) back with her. Said goodnight at her hotel while my sister took over and got her inside and to their shared room. M needed to get her car from the garage so I started back home. She suddenly got a phone call from me... as I was swinging onto the on ramp onto highway 1, all electrical in the car died; I lost power steering (on a tight curve!), lights, engine, etc. I came to a very scary rolling stop just at the end of the merge area, put on the flashers, and called M to look for me as she would be moments behind.

I tried the key and it started, sputtered a bit, and then died. Obviously the power was still available because the flashers worked, but at that point I couldn't get it to restart or do anything of note.

M pulled up and put her own flashers on. I tried starting it once more, couldn't get anything at (not even clicking from the starter) and was at a loss. When things like this happen in CA, I call my AAA and have them take me to the nearest Saturn dealership and they fix it. This was a borrowed vehicle, I didn't know if AAA would work, and I couldn't fix it at 10:30 pm the day before my morning wedding. So we called her dad and he and Mark (M's oldest brother) came out. Alex called a tow truck and they told us to go home and try to relax while they deal with it.

Luckily, we are not relying on that vehicle for tomorrow, so we're okay.

All I have to do now is remember everything we went over at the rehearsal, remember to speak clearly and loudly, and smile a lot. I think that is about all I can handle at this point.

1 comment:

  1. That's so weird! Someone here at work had the same thing happen to her this morning. She said everything just died and the car slammed to a halt.

    ReplyDelete