Copyright

All blog posts, unless otherwise noted, are copyrighted to the Author (that's me) and may not be used without written permission.

March 5, 2007

What Are They Thinking?

I just walked into the men's room upstairs here at work, turned the
corner, and heard the squelching of my shoes on wet tile. Looking
around, I saw -- how should I put this -- a lot of liquid and very
little water all over the floor by the urinals and the sinks.

We are supposed to all be adults here. I shouldn't have to deal with the
bathroom looking and smelling like the ones I was forced to use in
grade-school.

I can't help but wonder: what if I had been a client here for training?
What if I was a prospective client touring the business to see if I
wanted to hire this company? One look at that mess and I would likely
say thanks, but no. Is the behavior in here indicative of the behavior
these people have for their software, product, clients?

Even giving the benefit of the doubt that a urinal overflowed (which I
doubt-- I would assume a lot more water and a lot less "other" if that
happened), why wouldn't the person there when the problem happened tell
Facilities so it could be cleaned up? Why wouldn't they put a quick note
on the door that it is off-limits or in need of work? Something, so I
don't walk into that kind of mess.

How a person treats a bathroom they do not need to clean or take care of
says a lot about the character of the person involved.

4 comments:

  1. Right on: a filthy bathroom says more about the business than anything put onto paper. The do as I say, not as I do syndrome at work.

    I am so impressed with a new female custodian that I asked the principal to present her with an "attagirl" for her outstanding maintenance of the office restroom. It is not just clean, but it also smells good--a rarity in public restrooms.

    In passing, how could the individual who missed the pot not know he didn't pee in it?

    ReplyDelete
  2. At the last place I worked there was a terrible problem that was strangely NOT in the men's washroom, but the women's. OMG it was disgusting. There were chunks of nasal "debris" (to put it daintily) smeared all over the walls of the stalls. The cleaning staff couldn't keep up with it! Why wouldn't these people just blow their nose on the TP or tissue provided. OMG it was awful.

    Why why why!!! It scares me how these people live. Yikes & yuck.

    ReplyDelete
  3. All I ask for in a public washroom is toilets that are flushed fully (if you're going to use it, make sure the waste goes ALL the way to the bay, please) and no brown nuggets left on the seat.

    I've had to set these minimum standards because the washroom here at work doesn't always meet them.

    ReplyDelete
  4. We recently had signs posted in our washrooms telling us we must wash our hands after we've used the toilet. If a sign has to go up, you know it's because someone isn't doing it. I've actually seen someone walk out and not wash their hands. I'm not sure if she uses hand sanitizer when she gets back to her desk, but I wish she'd wash her hands, if only for the benefit of the rest of us.

    ReplyDelete