Copyright

All blog posts, unless otherwise noted, are copyrighted to the Author (that's me) and may not be used without written permission.

March 10, 2007

Been Tagged

I apparently was tagged. I am tasked with writing 10 quirky, odd, weird, or unusual things about me. Most people I know would likely say just writing my name would be enough. ;-)

Let's see what/how many I can come up with:

  1. I have predominantly awful dreams. However, many of these "nightmares" have really weird themes to them: like the recurring dream that I am living in 29, the Cubans parachute in to take over (ala Red Dawn), and the Godzilla comes trampling over everything. Yes, Godzilla -- and in my dream it doesn't look any more real than it does in the Toho movies.
  2. When people sleep near me (same room or within a room or two), they tend to not remember their dreams or have generally pleasant dreams-- while my dreams get worse. A few friends have actually called me a "dreamcatcher" because of this.
  3. While visiting England on a tour, Chris M. dared me to streak through our floor of the hotel. I said what the hell, took off every stitch of clothing, and casually walked an entire circuit around our floor. I learned two important things that day: 1. people at that time in England tended to leave their doors open and be up and about at 10 pm at night and 2. they didn't mind seeing a skinny white American walking buck-naked through their hotel. Oh, a third thing-- cute cockney-accented girls have very nice things to say to and about skinny, naked American boys walking through hotels. >:-)
  4. I have a strange fascination with, and attraction to, fire. As a child, my family pretty much always let me light the fires (and M has learned to do the same). I can sit mesmerized by the flames for long periods.
  5. In grade school, there were two groups of guys from my block who walked to school. On the way, we would often have "rock wars" (isn't it amazing that young boys would think throwing and being hit by large stones before school is fun? I wince a little at this memory). I have a natural sidearm delivery when throwing and one day, with Chris E. and I were on the far side of Mesquite Springs Rd and Doyle D. and his buddy on the close side, we were chucking rocks. I didn't see a car coming and threw a rock-- and, because of my sidearm delivery, I threw the rock through the open window on my side and it came out the open window on the other side and still nearly hit Doyle! Everyone saw that, we were all amazed, all agreed I couldn't do that if I tried to, and then ganged up and walked to school.
  6. The very first time I tried water skiing (at the Colorado River with the Cole family), I strapped on the skis, they explained what was going to happen, I popped right up, did three circuits of the inlet we were in, and then stopped. I then proclaimed that I had mastered skiing, I didn't understand what all the fuss was about, and I have never water skied again. Afterward, I fell asleep on my stomach on a lounge chair and got the worst sunburn of my life; it involved large, puss-filled blisters and deep red flesh. Mom and my sister got to take turns seeing how large a piece of my flesh they could remove when it started peeling.
  7. One day while jogging with mom and Mr. Cole on Highway 62 east of Utah Trail, I hit the "runners high" they talk about and felt like I could run forever. I have had a very similar out-of-body experience when drawing, painting, and writing a few times.
  8. At my sister's wedding there were only a handful of us from the west coast there. When it came time to throw the garter, I was reluctantly pushed out to stand at the far end of the line. Scott threw the garter and, like magic, it curved and curved. I pointed at it and started to say something when the garter ringed my finger and I reflexively closed my hand on it. When my sister threw the bouquet, her maid of honor and a fellow west-coaster, Mary, caught it. With all the PA people there versus the few CA, it is strange that two CA people caught the items. Oh, and I still have the garter.
  9. Wristwatch batteries don't last very long in watches I am wearing. I get this trait from my mother. A 5-year lithium battery will generally last about a year or two. Cheap batteries can go dead within a year. Also, we both go through vacuums like tissue paper; can't get one that consistently works or doesn't need constant maintenance.
  10. While in college, there was a creepy guy who moved into our dorm wing. Before we realized how creepy (let's put it this way-- we wouldn't leave any of the female residents alone if he was around and the police became involved at one point), we all just sort of avoided him. One day I was showering in the handicap stall (we had two stalls total and no handicapped people, so it wasn't like I was interfering with a disabled person's ability to shower), I had just finished and was drying off when I heard someone come in and start brushing his teeth. Then I heard someone else come in and start talking to the first-- and it was El Creepo. The voice that answered was my friend and roommate, Chris L. Thinking it wouldn't last long, I just quietly finished drying off, wrapped the towel around myself, and waited. They talked for a solid 20-30 minutes, the creepy guy going off in many random and bizarre directions. Finally, Chris managed to extricate himself from the conversation and they both left. By this time, I was sitting on the floor in the shower stall, still with the curtain closed. I then left the stall and went back to our room (which was directly across from the bathroom). I don't think Chris has ever completely forgiven me for that one! In my defense, the last thing I wanted was to be accosted by the Creepy One virtually naked!!
I don't think I am going to tag anyone else. I'll just let you enjoy these revelations.

1 comment:

  1. thanks for not tagging me: there may be more than 10 quirky, weird things about me, but I'd rather not reveal them in public!

    It was, however, interesting to read some of the items on your list, especially the streaking incident. You do know how to keep your own counsel: if this had been a game show and I was asked which of these incidents my son did, I never would have ascribed the streaking to you.

    ReplyDelete