Copyright

All blog posts, unless otherwise noted, are copyrighted to the Author (that's me) and may not be used without written permission.

March 7, 2007

Fun Time

I scared M, my mother, my friends, and most of the people at work today. Today was the first day to take my new medication for my RA. Having never taken it before, and it coming in an injectable syringe, I had to go into my doctor's office to have them show me how to take it.

The nurse/practitioner showed me, answered a few questions I had, and then sent me on my merry way. Took me about 30 minutes to drive to work from there and, as I neared work, I started to feel a little funny. Couldn't put a finger on how, exactly, though.

Over the next 10-20 minutes I got bad fast. Felt "heavy" (I mean that literally, I felt like my arms weighed a ton and I kept stooping over because my head was too heavy to lift), I got flushed and hot, a rash developed on my chest and back, I was hallucinating, and dizzy. I asked Renee, my boss, if she knew if there was somewhere I could lie down. She didn't know, so I contact Tom in Facilities. Tom came up immediately, asked how I was doing, and made the executive decision that he needed to call 911 just in case it was a more severe reaction than it seemed.

The EMTs arrived, led by Jim. The great thing about EMTs-- they spend most of their day waiting with almost nothing to do. So when the call comes in, they leap on it. It felt like there were 15 people there assisting me. It was likely closer to 6-7, but still-- a lot of people. Firemen, EMTs, ambulance personnel-- they all came running! Jim asked me questions while Tom and others helped shoo the many well wishers and curious away from my cube. They verified the rash, the temperature, fast heart rate, and high blood pressure. Jim kept talking to me and asking me questions.

Aside: I respect the hell out of any person who selects fire, police, EMT, medicine, and the military as his/her career. It takes special people.

They put me on oxygen, which cleared quite a bit of my fuzziness within a few minutes, but I still wasn't feeling great. They gave me a ride downstairs on a gurney, and then to a nearby ER for good measure. During the ride, Kevin mentioned my BP as 180 over "palp" which is exceptionally high for me. And this was down from whatever they read in the office, so I was doing poorly, but improving. My resting heart rate was stated as 96, which also is pretty fast for someone just laying down not doing anything. My temp was 100 something, so was elevated. They were great; answering my many, many, many annoying questions patiently and working like true professionals.

Aside: I guess I should mention: I tend to talk when I'm tired, anxious, and not feeling well. I am on record as having continued to talk after passing out in gym class as well as continuing to talk and ask questions with an endoscopy tube down my throat and "twilight" medication in me-- Doctor Ennis is still amused by that one.

In the ER, Doctor Lin and Nurse Carl took over. Carl was exceptional; bright and articulate in explaining what was happening, clear in what he wanted me to do, and extremely professional and competent. He put me at ease fairly quickly.

At this point, my blood pressure dropped down to 150 over "palp" and my heart rate was down to the high 80s. My temp was still a bit over the place, as now I was fairly cold. On an average day, if you take my temperature, I'm usually a bit below the supposed average, usually around 97.5-9. They read me as 96. That's at least a 4 degree swing in less than an hour. Soon my temperature was back in a normal range and under control.

The rash slowly left me and the flushed look of my flesh took about 40 minutes or so to leave. My fuzziness and hallucinations lasted quite a bit longer, and the strange heaviness didn't go away for awhile, either.

They hooked me up to an IV of saline and that made a huge difference. At this point, I was feeling mostly well, but they still checked my heart (all strong/good) and took a chest x-ray (clear) just to be sure. They took some blood and analyzed that, as well (nothing unusual). As more of the fluids got into me, they took off the oxygen and I rapidly improved from there.

My buddy Chris arrived; apparently my friend Robert, with whom I work, saw the EMT activity at my cubicle (how could he miss it-- he's two cubes over or so) and was worried, so spoke with Renee and forwarded an email to all my CA friends with what was going on. As soon as he found out where I was taken, he passed that along as well. Chris happens to work a couple blocks north of that hospital, so took some time off and came to sit with me. Although Tom stayed with me through the entire event and is a work friend, it was nice that a personal friend could make the time.

Meanwhile, Renee phoned both M and my mom, letting them know what had happened. M was, understandably, upset, but it sounds like her new work-mate, Scott, was able to help her through it until I could call with a more personal update. I actually got a call forwarded to me while in the ER from my mom, asking if she needed to drive down. She had made arrangements to leave work if needed and could be there in an hour and half (probably less-- she knows how to move when needed!). I told her I didn't think it would be needed, so we arranged to speak later in the afternoon after she was off work.

With Tom and Chris keeping my spirits up and the saline working through me, I came out okay. Dr. Lin said they couldn't find anything. He did say that not one of my symptoms was a typical allergic reaction to this medication. However, anyone who knows me knows that if anyone is going to have the ".001%" reaction to something, it's me. I get that from my mother. Part of what makes me special. ;-)

This all happened starting about 9:00 am this morning. I was to the ER by sometime shortly after that. The ER held onto me until about 1pm, at which time Tom drove me home. Doctor's orders are to take it easy, drink lots of fluids, and let them know if anything flares up or I have any symptoms reoccur.

Aside: I'm trying to be as accurate as I can about the times, but I was a bit "floaty" due to the hallucinations and dizziness. So take them with a grain of salt.

All in all, it was much ado about nothing. However, I wouldn't trade the response I got for the world. Tom did the right thing, as having someone take me home or to the ER personally would have left the company open to lawsuits if anything should have gone even more wrong. And, of course, it may not have been a simple reaction to a new medication that went away in a couple of hours. I'd rather have someone overreact than not react enough and something bad happens.

However, I am once again struck by the quality of the people in my life.
  • M was obviously upset and concerned and couldn't wait for me to call her. While she denigrates herself constantly by saying she is too emotional and doesn't handle these types of situations well, I found her to be strong, calm, and comforting and she put me at ease immediately. Of course, as she'll likely say, I'm biased. Very, very biased. ;-)
  • Mom was willing to drop everything and come down if needed-- and she's a teacher, not something you can easily drop on a dime. But family always is first and foremost in her life.
  • Chris showed why he is my best friend by dropping whatever he was doing and coming to just sit with me and keep me company.
  • Robert shared important info around to everyone he could think of so that they knew. He is one of the most compassionate and caring people you could meet-- if you're his friend or family, he will do anything to help you. Period.
  • Tom was both professional and a good friend by doing everything by the book but also staying with me through the event and keeping my spirits up. While he kept saying "it's my job" my only response is this: No, Tom, you definitely went above and beyond and I appreciate it. Oh, and M: Tom passes on congrats on our nuptials. He only wishes he could have performed the ceremony. :-)
Many people don't get the chance or make the time to evaluate their lives and those with whom they associate. Unfortunately, some of my health concerns have made me constantly evaluate both. And my conclusion has never changed: I have the best people around me. Each one is smart, compassionate, and caring. Quality, every one of them! And I have a great life; it must be great if these people are my family and friends! Having these health concerns has, in many ways, made me a better person and certainly has helped me to appreciate everyone in my life.

Thank you for showing the quality of your character and for helping me through another rough time.

***

Oh, and as an aside to anyone who cares-- my feet don't hurt. The medication may just be working! Dr. Lee, the one who prescribed it, will call me tomorrow and we'll discuss what my options are.

2 comments:

  1. Glad to hear you're ok. Whew what a scary feeling that heavy sort of feeling is though. Yikes. Hope you can figure out what it is before it happens again - maybe a dosing issue? It's definitely frustrating being the one person in 10000 who gets a particular reaction or whatever.

    ReplyDelete
  2. One of the EMTs in my class, when I asked about injecting Embrol, said, "he went into anaphylatic shock, right?" He knew right away with the heaviness you experienced in your extremities and the accelerated blood pressure and heart rate. Said it's good you rec'd prompt, appropriate medical treatment.

    He's had experience with these injections and says he's seen several severe reactions in recent months, as the drug has gained popularity.

    Good plan to do a controlled injection, monitor reaction, and then make a decision.

    ReplyDelete