Copyright

All blog posts, unless otherwise noted, are copyrighted to the Author (that's me) and may not be used without written permission.

March 19, 2007

Songs

I have a bad habit of listening to the radio. Yes, I know... I shouldn't. Almost any other source of music is better at telling me who the artist is, what the song is, or providing a list of the recently played songs.

Before coming to SJ, I heard a song that was upbeat, catchy, and fun. I liked it. It was on one of the indy stations in SoCal. I tried looking it up on the radio station's website, but they didn't have the song listed (they showed the the "last 10 songs we played" yet, strangely, the list only had the top albums on it and I hadn't heard any of those songs played during my drive).

I then performed an internet search with the stipulation 'lyrics "remember lyrics"' but that was fruitless. While my hearing isn't bad, per se, it is not great. What I mean is that whenever I go for a hearing test, I pass with flying colors. However, when I am in an environment with a lot of background noise and simultaneous sounds (like listening to a song and driving in my car), I have a hard time focusing on any one sound and bits and pieces get missed or misheard. So, my web search came back up with tons of potential songs none of which seemed right.

On to my next best resource: M. She has a wealth of musical knowledge and stays up on a lot of current and older songs. However, with what I was able to describe to her, she was at a loss. I then tried some of her friends, who are also good with music. Nada.

Then, low and behold, we are out shopping and the song comes on. It was some bizarre remixed version, but it was the song. Since I had two people with better hearing than me there, I asked them what the singers were saying, and they steered me in the right direction. Today, I was able to look up the song and found it on iTunes.

Now I can listen and decide whether I want to get just the song or the entire album.

BTW, it was: artist: Peter Bjorn and John album: Writer's Block song: Young Folks.

No comments:

Post a Comment