Copyright

All blog posts, unless otherwise noted, are copyrighted to the Author (that's me) and may not be used without written permission.

May 29, 2006

Memorial Day

I was raised in a military community. My father was a career Marine. He was a teacher who taught the vital communications and RADAR systems that are often the key to success in the military. And he always honored the uniform and the country while in the service and he still does in his retirement.

My father pulled me aside as I was finishing High School and said, “You’re not right for the military, and the military isn’t right for you.” For a Marine, who was very proud of his service and the opportunities that came from it, to say that to his son was pretty potent for me to hear. I expected him to regale me with stories of the Marine Corps and how it could change my life. But he knew better; I am one who questions authority and who doesn’t take too kindly to orders that do not make sense. I would not make a good Marine.

But I would go, if called. If my military needed me, I would answer the draft. Many friends and acquaintances have felt the call and entered the military, and I hope they are all well and safe.

I respect so much each and every military person who is fighting in our armed services, every branch. I respect that they have offered up their lives in defense of this country’s ideals. They fight for me so that I can question the decisions that led them to these battles. They put themselves in harm’s way so that I can lead a prosperous and comfortable life. They die so that I can denounce our President and his lies that brought us into conflict.

I am tired of hearing anyone who questions the President or who disagrees with this fight getting raked over the coals. I have personally heard those who have questioned these decisions told that they hate our military and don’t support our country. Nothing could be further from the truth. You will not find anyone more loyal or supportive of this great country than me. I am an American, through and through. But I also think for myself and use my intelligence to throw new light on the information presented to me. I can admit mistakes and take accountability for my actions—something it seems our President cannot do. But this makes me even more supportive of our troops, not less. In my view, they are heroes for still being able to fight and honor our country even when the fight itself is less than heroic.

One of the foundations of our great nation is the right to protest. And it is not only our military’s job to defend this right; it is every person’s job to do so as well. I will defend to the death your right to say things that make me angry and with which I disagree.

So, on this Memorial Day, I honor and give thanks to all those brave men and women serving in our armed forces, doing a job I cannot do, and doing it well and truly. I pray that every one of them manages to return home safely to those who love them. And I hope that our leadership will manage to extricate our brave service people from this conflict as quickly and safely as is possible.

Semper Fidelis!

No comments:

Post a Comment