Copyright

All blog posts, unless otherwise noted, are copyrighted to the Author (that's me) and may not be used without written permission.

December 31, 2007

Annual Movie Review

So, here are the movie stubs in my eye glasses case, which is going through its annual clean out at the end of the calendar year:

Rocky Balboa, Dec 26 (SJ) - Enjoyed this, had a great feel-good feeling while not being a great movie. Not sure how this one survived last year's annual clean up.

Ghost Rider, Feb 19 (Ir) - Decent comic-book movie, but nothing special or great. I won't be buying this on DVD any time soon, but it was fun to watch.

300, Mar 18 (SJ) - This movie rocked. Very stylized, and I respect those who didn't care for the style, but I found it fun to watch. I wish they hadn't added all the extra stuff with his wife and the senate at home.

Fantastic 4: Rise of the Silver Surfer, Jun 24 (Ir) - Okay comic-book movie. As with GR above, not one I need to own, but I generally enjoyed watching it.

Live Free or Die Hard, Jul 15 (SJ) - Enjoyable Die Hard movie. I enjoyed it overall, but the scene with the jet was just... too much. And why does every Asian computer-geek woman know kung fu?

Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix, Jul 20 (SJ) - I think this is one of the two best HP movies. Really enjoyed it.

Transformers, Jul 24 (SJ) - Really fun popcorn movie. Some of the plot didn't make a lot of sense, and there were way too many human beings in it, but it was fun.

The Bourne Ultimatum, Aug 5 (SJ) - This movie rocked! Great ending to a great series. One of the best action trilogies made.

3:10 to Yuma, Sep 30 (Ir) - Very surprising movie. Well-acted, strong story. Could have been edited down to be even more taut and to the point, but otherwise an excellent movie.

30 Days of Night, Oct 20 (Ir) - Good horror movie, and faithful to the comic book.

No Country for Old Men, Dec 30 (Ir) - Very surprising film. Well-acted, very well directed. The ending did leave me a little cold. I understand what the Coen's were trying for, but I felt it went against what had been presented for the characters up to that point. I understand the Oscar buzz, however.

Juno, Dec 31 (Ir) - Incredible film. Very funny, touching, honest, and well-acted. I really liked this film.

National Treasure: Book of Secrets, Dec 31 (Ir) - Fun film. Popcorn, and a little over-done with the mom/father subplot, but otherwise fun. Right up there with the first one. I don't find Nic Cage annoying in these films, which is saying something.

Not in my case for some reason:

Star Trek: The Menagerie-- M and I got our money back on this one due to the poor presentation.

I watched a movie with my mom while M was at her conference in Indian Wells. Can't remember what it was and I don't have the stub.

1 comment:

  1. I thought the same thing while watching Die Hard.

    As for No Country, I was actually appreciative of the ending. I thought it really nicely tossed the story away from the characters and back to a thematic story-telling. If it'd ended in the kitchen or even at the house (although both would be good places to end it were it character driven) it would have been about the characters which this movie certainly was not. I definitely enjoyed this and appreciated the stretch from the typical to a movie centred on a story/moral rather than around characters.

    ReplyDelete