Copyright

All blog posts, unless otherwise noted, are copyrighted to the Author (that's me) and may not be used without written permission.

December 2, 2007

Bound To Happen

Well, I'm still in Saint John. Was supposed to leave for SoCal today. As we were sitting there, waiting for the plane, I wondered aloud if I would make my connection in Toronto because the flight in was delayed due to weather and I remembered that I had a tight connection time. I asked the girl at the counter and she said, "With the delay, you still have 45 minutes to make your connection, so you're still legal."

Great, I thought.

We said our goodbyes and M drove home while I went through security. The flight out was delayed from 5:45 to 6:12 pm. When it reached 6:22 pm and there still was no sign of even beginning to board the plane, I decided to ask again. The older flight personnel came out just then and announced that they were delaying the flight until 7:15 pm due to weather. Well, since I was on the last flight out of Toronto to LAX, and that delay meant I was going to be arriving about 30 minutes after that flight took off (unless it, too, was delayed), I was stuck.

I had, she told me, two options: they could get me to Toronto where I would be on my own for the night and then I could rebook in the morning to get to LAX or I could rebook the entire flight for tomorrow.

Duh; not really a choice-- be with my wife where I am happy for another 24 hours or pay for my own hotel or sleep in Toronto airport over night? Gee, I wonder. *sarcasm

(We checked some options and, while they could get me to either Montreal or Toronto relatively early, I would have to take either of the two late flights out of Toronto to make it to LAX anyway, so I'd rather be here instead.)

So, I am currently booked on the exact same flights on Monday evening as I was scheduled for today.

Of course, with that storm system heading here rapidly and a lot of snow on the way, I may be doing this again!

2 comments:

  1. ah-ha: the travel curse strikes again! I knew the minute I saw the weather channel report on the closed airports, delayed/canceled flights, etc. that you would be extending your trip.

    Let me know when you get back to CA. It should be just in time for the storm that's coming our way from Oregon!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm really glad to hear the travel curse worked in your favour this time! :)

    ReplyDelete