Copyright

All blog posts, unless otherwise noted, are copyrighted to the Author (that's me) and may not be used without written permission.

April 10, 2007

Things I Don't Understand

  • People who drive 35 in a 55 zone in the fast lane.
  • Comedy programs that aren't funny. See: The Office, Reno 911, Aqua Teen Hunger Force, et al.
  • People who come to a stop more than one car length from the intersection.
  • People who are ten or more cars from the intersection but who take off the break and start to go as soon as the light turns green-- whether any of the cars in front of him/her are moving or not.
  • People who drive 65 in a 35 zone and then don't pay enough attention to realize you, who are driving the speed limit and with care, keep winding up right beside or behind them at every red light.
  • People who ride their bicycles on the wrong side of the street and then get mad at cars for the problems they are causing. In the US, bicycles are considered vehicles and are supposed to follow all the rules of the road as a car (including which side of the street they are on).
  • The cop who is sitting in his car waiting for speeders or others who doesn't at least shout out to the bicyclists who ride by him on the wrong side of the street.
  • Why my cell phone carrier doesn't allow me to edit my phone book online. Don't they realize that the vast majority of people don't like typing things as complex as an address into their phone using the stupid 9-key system the phone has?
  • Those cell phone commercials where the line goes dead and people fear the worst. Everyone I know hears the line go dead and immediately says, "Hello?"
  • How I can call four different doctor's offices in Los Angeles between 10:30 and 11 am today and get the answering service for all of them. Is today a freaking holiday and no one told me?
  • Why America still uses the electoral college or a bicameral system. We don't need either any more. One person, one vote. We have the means and the technology to get it done.
  • How the news, the news for pity's sake!, has become so biased and out of kilter. The news is supposed to be something people can trust. In the 40s through the early 80s, someone like Bill O'Reilly (just to name one-- there are plenty to choose from on both sides of the aisle) would never have been allowed on the air.

3 comments:

  1. I agree with all of these with one exception... the first one. I tend to do it myself.

    The reason? If some goofball isn't paying attention behind me and rear-ends me at the intersection I'd rather have a small buffer than being shoved into traffic and t-boned. I wouldn't say I stay back more than a car length, but certainly a small car length.

    ReplyDelete
  2. If we abolished the Electoral College, national candidates would never visit the small states. The smaller states like having political power that their population wouldn't otherwise command, so don't plan an EC burial in our lifetimes.

    ReplyDelete
  3. While I know that is true and respect that is why the framers wrote the Constitution that way, moving to a one person, one vote system would still make people in small states important. As the two elections that W "won" show, looking at the popular vote, every single voter would become more important and you would want to win every state you can.

    I will grant you that the entire election process would need to be overhauled due to this one change, however. Campaigning would need to change, too.

    ReplyDelete