Copyright

All blog posts, unless otherwise noted, are copyrighted to the Author (that's me) and may not be used without written permission.

April 20, 2007

When Is It Your Fault?

A woman at work just became hysterical. She was yelling and nearly in
tears because of a perceived lack of communication. I actually heard
her yell, "I don't understand how we could have such bad
miscommunication on this!" to a programmer.

The funny thing is that she has been 'miscommunicating' with my boss
on documentation. And with me on alerts. And with QA on testing needs
and procedures. And with other programmers for other changes she
needs. And with product support for issues that have come up with
changes she requested. And even with others in her own group.

Yet, all of these are everyone else's fault, not hers. Never hers. At
what point will it be enough to hit that limit where she says,
"Everyone I am in contact with is not understanding me or what I need.
Is there another way I can deal with them that will be more
effective?"

At my previous employer there was one manager who was almost
exclusively at fault for about 200 people leaving the company. We know
this number because those of us who survived him kept a running tally
in plain sight of the number. Yet, when asking other managers about
this singular trend, we were told they were all "isolated incidences"
of employee dissatisfaction. Some of us know what was said in exit
interviews and in termination of employement letters, as we were
friends with the people who left (and in many cases still are).

I begin to wonder, at what point do all the "isolated incidences"
become a singular truth that indicates she is the one at fault? Where
is the threshold that causes those in superior positions to get smart
and say, "If I fix this one thing, all these other things will fix
themselves" and they eradicate or educate the one wayward person,
rather than refusing to believe the masses? When does all the evidence
simply become enough, and action is taken against the one person who
lies at the root of the issue?

I wonder.

3 comments:

  1. There are 2 overt bullies at our site, women who know no bounds in both their language to and treatment of co-workers. It does not matter how many complain, nor how often as these 2 bullies seem to have immunity. Whereas others have been sent on their merry way for minor infractions, these 2 run rough-shod over students, parents, co-workers--and administrators--and have never been held directly accountable for their conduct.

    It creates a hostile work environment, but the reaction to complaints appears to be: if you don't like it--leave, which is, as you indicate, also happening in the private sector.

    We are all afraid of the laws that regulate workplace conduct--unless you are a bully and can manipulate others to accept your bad behavior as acceptable for you!

    I refuse to have anything to do with the 2 at my worksite and have directed both of them to put it in writing if/when they need to have communication with me. I don't hear from them often :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. When you find the answer toy our question, John, please let me know. We have at least one person like that where I work too. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have nothing constructive to add, just something amusing on the topic: Dysfunction

    ReplyDelete