Copyright

All blog posts, unless otherwise noted, are copyrighted to the Author (that's me) and may not be used without written permission.

September 21, 2005

Nephew's Birthday

So I’m searching for stuff for my nephew’s birthday (he’s turning 8 October 2). The only item I have been informed of is a wacky food thing that allows the child to make their own food treats.

In looking on Amazon for this toy, I stumbled across some really neat toys. A company called Wild Planet has created spy toys that mimic the favorite tools you see in cartoons, TV, and movies. One is a Spy Pen that can turn into a motion detector, a magnifying glass, and has a secret storage compartment. Another is a Spy Kit that includes a long-distance listening device and a telescope.

Now this is something Uncle John can get into giving to his nephew! It does two things that I always liked in toys when I was a young boy growing up: enhanced my level of play with cool extras but did not get in the way of my own imagination.

I look at so many of the toys today and I wonder where the imagination has gone. The toys do everything for you, it seems. Many of the video games and similar electronic toys do most of the work for the child. I am noticing the action figures do more and more—and require more and more “upgrades” and accessories to even work to full potential.

Some of the most fun I had as a child was taking my (copious quantities of) Hot Wheels out into the backyard, scooping sand around and using water to make roads and jumps and such, and playing with my cars. I remember using Lincoln logs, Lego blocks, and erector sets to build things of my own design. I often built my own toys out of knick-knacks around the house—I still remember when I cobbled my flashlight, a clear plastic tube, some green cellophane mom had lying around, and a large amount of duct tape into the first “lightsaber” seen on the block. And how all the other children came running out as I ran down the street swinging it. By the next weekend every kid had made something similar and we were having epic battles.

I feel strongly that children need to have tools and toys that allow them to stretch their mind, be inquisitive, and learn as they go. They should even have a slight element of danger to them, so kids can learn that metal can be sharp, not to eat the small plastic pieces, and that you really can put an eye out if you try hard enough. Some of my best lessons were learned as I sat crying on the floor as mom got out the Bactine, hydrogen peroxide, and bandages to patch me back together from yet another unsuccessful stunt.

My poor nephew probably thinks I’m a bit weird. He’s received books, educational toys, and even a Learning Frog toy from me that was probably 3-4 years ahead of his learning curve at the time. The last thing I sent was about geology from a science-oriented online site. He probably would love it more if I’d just send him gift certificates, clothes, or more simple toys.

I’ve also got a special piggy bank that is designed with multiple slots so you can decide whether to put money into savings, for a special item, for charity, etc. and it stores the money in easier and harder to open areas. He’s 8! Time to start learning fiscal responsibility and that charity begins at home, right?


Oh well, I’m okay with being the weird “educational” uncle. I sort of pity my own children if/when I have them-- but I'll sure be having fun!

4 comments:

  1. I read this with a big smile. It's unusual to find someone so strangely likeminded with regards to toys. What happened to the days of forts (and not the plastic ones) build of brush from the woods or of snow. What happened to the days of being outdoors from sun up to down. I realize the world is less safe now, but why are children indoors so darned much now?
    As for toys needing a little danger, I WHOLEHEARTEDLY agree. I've been saying this for years. They're just not as fun these days. Cripes... would it be so bad if a kid jammed their finger? Is it so bad if they get something stuck in their nose? I mean come on folks... Some of my best childhood memories involve scrapes, breaks, and other random injuries resulting from both bought and made up toys. Where's the imagination!!!
    I'm also the one who purchases what are seen as wierd or ridiculous toys. Last year for Xmas I purchased 3 of the Wild Republic frogs for my niece who was only 16 months old. lol I bought her an art set as well. She's got fingerpaints from who? Me! These of course are among other things. This Christmas will likely be a science lab type kit or something of the like. Toys should suggest a direction, but have no storyline attached. No "required" method of use.
    Kudos to ya on being the wierd uncle. He'll look back and remember the cool toys that Uncle John bought and other presents from other people will fade from his memory.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think 8 is a great age for a piggy bank... But, I got my first bank account when I was 8. I saved money like Scrooge (I would have LOVED to sit in a vault counting (but not swimming in) my money)...
    And when I started university, I was able to pay my tuition and buy a computer of my own.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think I need one of those piggy banks - what's the website?!?! 30's not too old to try new financial habits is it?! :P

    ReplyDelete
  4. In all seriousness, my nephew hates me - mainly because I am the disciplinarian who doesn't let him get what he wants all the time, makes him do things for himself and have a strict no "games" rule in my gift giving to him. I've always tried to go for the more educational, books and clothes route. He hates me for it, but then again, I'm hoping that when he actually comes around to realizing things later he'll appreciate me for it. He'll never love me, but he'll apreciate it hopefully. I think this year though I'll probably end up breaking down and giving him gift certificates for blockbuster or something like taht for xmas since it's easier in the long run. Not much to open, but...
    Either way, go with your gut. You also have an advantage that I don't have - you are a male and he is a male. You can think back to what you might have liked at 8. :)

    ReplyDelete