Copyright

All blog posts, unless otherwise noted, are copyrighted to the Author (that's me) and may not be used without written permission.

January 1, 2009

Slip!

M and I went to a very nice, quiet, small-group New Year's party with close friends. A good time was had by all.

However, on trying to leave, the blizzard-like conditions had started and there was ice on the driveway of the house we were visiting. All my compatriots made it into the truck okay, but as I was walking around the back of the truck to the driver's door, I hit a patch of ice, slipped, and -- no hyperbole here -- fell on the back of my head. Not "I fell and hit my entire back and my head also hit the ground hard" -- I mean my HEAD was the FIRST thing to touch the ground! As Stew, who was sitting in the back seat behind me and looking out the side window, said, "I saw tennis shoes and wondered what happened."

This is my first major issue with ice since being here and it hurt like hell. I have had concussions before, and have had my bell rung a number of times, so I know all the necessary things to look for/self-diagnose. So I'm pretty sure I don't have a concussion this time around; however, I do have and will have a pretty nasty headache tonight and, most likely, into tomorrow.

What amazes me is the fact that I could go from standing upright to literally having the back of my head hit the pavement first in such a short moment. Had I seen me do this from a third person perspective, I'm certain it would have looked cartoonish and rather comical. However, the splitting headache I have now is not so funny. But, in the end, it will make for a funny story sometime down the road.

2 comments:

  1. And you may be amazed at how much your shoulders and neck hurt for the next couple of weeks! Take care of yourself.

    ReplyDelete
  2. How are you feeling now? Headache gone and all other things still in working order?

    Ice - friend or foe - depends on what end of it you are on :)

    glad to hear that it wasn't any worse than what it was!

    ReplyDelete