Copyright

All blog posts, unless otherwise noted, are copyrighted to the Author (that's me) and may not be used without written permission.

March 31, 2006

Water, Water

Through a desire to change my actions and with the encouragement of both my girlfriend and my boss, I began a program of drinking one standard (.5 L or 16 oz) bottle of water each day.

To many people, this does not sound hard. But I hate the taste of water (yes, there IS a taste to water) and I prefer just about anything else to drink (excluding coffee and tea—I dislike both of those beverages).

At first, I was barely finishing the bottle. Most days I would have to gulp down the last few inches in the container before leaving work or take it with me and finish it at home. During this time I came to realize I dislike drinking cold water except in specific instances. So I got smarter and started leaving the bottles out of the refrigerator.

In an online article proclaiming how to drink more water in a day, the author suggested leaving an open bottle of water at your PC. In this way, she wrote, you would be more likely to grab that and take a sip than to stand up and go hunting for a soda machine or wander over to the coffee maker. So I started doing that, too. The key is to make it more accessible than whatever else you may want.

I am now getting to the point where I am finishing the bottle before lunch, and even earlier some days. On occasion, I am even refilling and finishing a second helping.

Perusing the internet for water facts, there seems to be little consensus on how much water a person “should” drink each day. Some people recommend 32 oz a day (4x8) while many advocate 64 oz (8x8). I’ve seen anecdotal evidence that you should drink half your body weight in ounces of water a day as a rough estimate. Others admit that you can drink too much water, getting to the point where additional water does you no good and some even suggest you can reach the point of water poisoning if you drink “too much.”

The other thing to consider is that everything you eat and drink contains some water. I’ve seen some nifty conversions to allow you to count the “typical” beverages one might imbibe during the day. One suggested that you can only count half the volume of a beverage with caffeine as part of your water intake. Another discounted entirely all caffeinated drinks. For sugary beverages, the results were even more wildly askew—I just want a drink, I’m not going to do complex mathematics to figure out how much a beverage adds or subtracts from my water intake! So I threw those suggestions aside.

I drink a lot of beverages during the day. I like drinking more than eating. With as wildly varying as is the information I see online regarding water intake, I have decided to take a middle-ground tactic and do whatever feels right to me.

Currently, my plan is to replace the “during the work day” sodas I typically drink with the one bottle of water. I will try to increase that to two bottles of water during the day if I seem to hold true to this current kick and can make it a habit. I will drink whatever I want with lunch and dinner. I will continue drinking milk and fruit juices as I see fit in addition. I figure that all of this will combine to get me fairly close to the 64-80 oz of water per day that seems to be recommended.

Today as I write this I am just finishing my second bottle of water. That makes twice this week I’ve managed to finish more than my goal.

3 comments:

  1. It does sound easy, but if you're not used to drinking water, it really is a challenge. I started drinking water when I started walking regularly. I needed something to drink while I walked, especially in summer, and when I was really thirsty I didn't mind the "taste" of water (I do agree that it has a taste).

    Since Christmas I've tried to get 1.5L (52oz) in per day. At first it was challenging, but after a while you start to crave it and feel dry. I used to snack in the morning and afternoon, but now with all of the water consumption, I don't do that anymore. I make myself drink water with my lunch at work during the week. Most of all it's just easier to drink water at lunch since I can get it from the water cooler. We don't have vending machines in our building, and it's a pain to drag a drink with me to work everyday. Most days I'm lucky to remember my lunch.

    Consuming more water and having a regular walking schedule really makes a big difference in my health. I am not unhealthy normally, but I notice a big improvement in how I feel and how my body goes through its everyday processes. I simply just feel better.

    I totally agree - I only crave cold water when I am overheated, which for me does not happen very often. I usually leave all my water at room temperature, and that makes it much easier to drink.

    My favorite brand is Dasani. I cannot taste anything when I drink it, as opposed to other brands. I bought a case of Nestle Pure Life at Costco, but it had a stale flavor to it that I didn't enjoy at all. Aquafina is ok but not great. My refrigerator filters water for me, and I prefer that to most everything except Dasani. The Arrowhead brand in your area was pretty good too.

    Having water by the PC is what I do too. I drink it as I work, without even noticing now. If I haven't finished my intake by the time we sit down to chat in the evenings, I'll have a bottle with me and sip away.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love this post, so I'll add my 2 cents :)
    During other weight loss attempts I had a hard time getting the standard 1.5L of water a day reccommended for daily health. I too didn't like the taste of it and I have to admit I'm a bit of a soda addict. I love my diet coke and having water instead seemed like I was being so deprived.
    Last summer I learned that I really like the Dasani bottled water. I'm not sure exactly why but I really really like how it tastes. I don't feel deprived when I drink it. And my gym sells it in addition to the school vending machines. So from then til Christmas I didn't have much of a problem getting the 1.5l in each day.
    Since I've been completely on program this year, Ive been drinking on average 2L of water a day, plus other water based drinks like milk, 100% fruit juice and herbal tea. I've done the reading and I've found that the increased fluids have helped with the weight loss. I'm careful that I don't go over 3L and get "waterlogged".
    Water temperature varies for me. I like really cold water just after my workout. I fill my 1L water bottle in the morning at school and drink it slowly til lunch. I like cold drinks with my meals. Before bed I like room temp water to take my medication.
    All in all, its a good habit to make and its one that has Stew and I considering buying a water cooler for home with our tax return :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi enjoying your blog!

    http://www.hydroxycut.com/MEN/CALCULATORS/WATER/index.shtml

    there is a water requirment scale if you like.

    The thing is you can't really go by the ide aof "what my body wants" if you're body is out of shape from not drinking a little water. Um, Dasani is owned by Coke if that is an issue for anyone. So at least they aren't losing money by people healthy choice.

    A leading cause of fatique is dehydration. After you start drinking more water your skin will look better and your energy will rise.

    I actually measure by having three 1 1/2 litre bottles a day. Its the only way I can keep track of how much I am drinking. You can't have "too much" water.

    Again, really enjoyed your blog
    Candy
    http://gnosticminx.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete