Copyright

All blog posts, unless otherwise noted, are copyrighted to the Author (that's me) and may not be used without written permission.

March 27, 2006

New Scam

Watch out for jury duty scam

Here's a new one: identity thieves who pretend to be from your local court and say you failed to report for jury duty and that a warrant has been issued for your arrest. Then they ask for your social security number, birth date, etc. Many folks who would never be fooled by an email scam will give out this info over the phone. Don't do it! Hang up and call the court yourself or go there in person to be sure you're dealing with whom you think you are.
http://www.wxpnews.com/14751X/060328-Jury_Duty_Scam

1 comment:

  1. Anonymous6:23 PM

    My general rule of thumb is that if you can't refer me back to something I've recently received in the mail, you're not getting any information out of me. And even then, I'll usually reinitiate the call through the phone number printed on the piece of mail, and either connect to someone's personal extension or wait in the general queue. I just cannot at all wrap my head around the idea of giving my social or other personal information to some random caller who's asking me for it. Maybe it's because I consider the phone lines to be a sewer system of the communication world, as I receive at least half a dozen sales calls a day on my answering machine and have to waste my time deleting them.

    No, stupid, you can't help me lower my mortgage. I'm renting you jacka$$!! And "Lisa," (seems to be a popular name for telemarketers) I'm surprised that you're surprised I haven't returned your call. You see, you're offer to help me consolidate my credit card debt is not of much use to someone who has none!

    I swear, sometimes having good credit is more of a hassle than it's worth.

    ReplyDelete