Copyright

All blog posts, unless otherwise noted, are copyrighted to the Author (that's me) and may not be used without written permission.

August 26, 2008

Being Handy

I've been allowed to be more handy since moving in with my wife. One of the things I disliked about apartment dwelling was that I didn't feel like I could do much; the apartment wasn't mine and any changes I made would have to be undone before I moved out.

At the house, however, M needs a few things done that she just can't do. I'm not certain I always can, either, but I am willing to risk it and dive in and give it a shot. Other things I am capable of, if very, very rusty from long-term apartment living.

For example, I am nearing completion on a 7 foot tall, 30 inch wide, 9-shelf DVD/CD shelf unit that will go in our front room (more on this in a separate post to come). With the help of our good friend Stew, I installed a new satellite dish to the side of the house. I've put together and need to figure out how to mount a bathroom cabinet. Switched out a shower head for a different shower head. Am working on a better solution to our screen door staying closed issue. Was part of the crew that helped rewire and put in a new networking solution (my part was small, but I did help on more than one occasion). I've cut kindling for our fireplace for the winter.

I still have more to do on my honey-do list, as well as we bought me a new desk to use which I need to put together and make work/fit in the room.

It has been fun, interesting, and a little frustrating doing so much. Fun in that I get to do these tasks again. Interesting because I get to figure out how to do them. Frustrating because I know I had the experience and the ability to do many of these tasks at one time, but I seem to have forgotten or lost those skills over the years since I was doing stuff like this regularly.

No comments:

Post a Comment