Copyright

All blog posts, unless otherwise noted, are copyrighted to the Author (that's me) and may not be used without written permission.

May 25, 2008

"Just Trying to Make an Honest Living"

I have heard a number of people say that illegal immigrants are "Just trying to make an honest living." If that is true, why are they here illegally? There is nothing honest in breaking the laws of this country in order to make that "honest living."

I have absolutely no problem with nearly any number of legal immigrants of any race, color, or creed coming to America. But I do have a problem with those who come here illegally. For me, I see it as a simple legal issue: if you break the law, you go to jail (or the equivalent, depending on the law). In this case, you get deported. If you are breaking the law, you shouldn't receive items and services that are intended for law-abiding individuals.

Why does my respecting the laws of this country make me racist in the eyes of those who support those who do not respect the laws of this country? I am respecting the laws of Canada in my attempt to get into, stay in, and get work in that country. Would the people who say I'm racist for my law-abiding ways here fight to protect my rights in Canada if I moved there illegally, took a job from a qualified Canadian at a lower wage, and took advantage of their medical services? Somehow I doubt it.

I will grant you that in my area the predominant number of illegals are Mexican. There is a small minority of Asians who come here illegally, and most other races and ethnicities are such a small percentage as to be negligible. However, I'm for all people of all races and ethnicities coming here legally, following the laws, and getting the advantages that those laws afford them. I continue to not be in favor of anyone breaking the law in general and this country's immigration laws specifically. I am not anti-Mexican. Nor am I anti-any other race or ethnicity.

I am, however, against anyone breaking the law. And, for me, this illegal immigration issue is simply that; people breaking the law. I do not consider the jobs that supposedly wouldn't or couldn't be done if those illegals weren't here. I don't consider how much we are allegedly spending on health care for illegals. I don't care about any of the other arguments, for and against, that many people make about this issue. Currently, how they are here is illegal, and I am against people breaking the law. Simple, straightforward, and with no deeper meaning.

1 comment: