Copyright

All blog posts, unless otherwise noted, are copyrighted to the Author (that's me) and may not be used without written permission.

January 8, 2008

Round Two

Okay, I didn't do so hot in the first round of the NFL playoffs; I only got two of four games correctly picked for wins and losses, my scores were pretty far off, but I did well on my summary of what I thought would be keys to the games and the spread.

Jaguars at Patriots

I would not want to play the Jags if I was any team. This team is good at every position on both sides of the ball. They can pound it at you by running or throw decently through the air. They don't have many superstars, but have good quality and good depth at nearly every position out there. However, they are playing the Pats. As long as the Pats have Brady at QB and Belichick on the sideline game-planning, I don't bet against them. Also, they are at home and they have proven that weather is not a factor to their high-scoring offense. I am worried a bit about the Jags running on them (Pats were not good all season against the run) and keeping that powerful offense off the field. Also, the Jags are more physical on offense and the Pats defense is getting older. However, the extra week off should help the Pats D to get healthy and rested for this grueling match up. I do worry a little that the Pats O may be a little out of sync to start the game.

Patriots over Jaguars, 31-27

Chargers at Colts

The Chargers can win this game with two things: Tomlinson and Turner pounding it down the Colts Defense's throat for about 150-175 total yards and two TDs and the defense getting at least 3 turnovers. You still have to worry about Rivers and Norv Turner zoning out, but I think this first playoff win will get them focused and working hard.

The Colts, though, have one of the best offenses in football and a defense that was surprisingly good all season. The Colts can score with anyone, so they just need to not make mistakes on offense to stay in the game or blow it open early. Their D is opportunistic and sometimes gives up a big play or two. And, of course, they have Peyton Manning.

I will be rooting for the Chargers to win (closest thing to a home-town team I've got, and I really like LT), but I just don't think they have enough to grab this win away from home in a very hostile dome.

Colts over Chargers, 38-31

Giants at Cowboys

This game comes down to which teams show up. If the Giants team that nearly beat the Pats and the one that did beat the Bucs shows up, this will be a game. If the Cowboys team that was second in scoring and offense to the Pats shows up, this could be a blow out. What I fear is that the Dallas team that scored 6 total points in two of the final three games and the Giants team that couldn't beat sub-.500 teams both show, this will be a dog of a game.

I have a feeling that the Giants have a recipe for success now. I also don't think the Cowboys will come out flat or poorly. That being said, I think this game primarily comes down to the the lines and the corners. Whichever line can dominate the other will control the clock. And both sides have DBs that are vulnerable to the long pass and play-action.

While the Giants are much improved, and their defense is stout, I think this swings the favor to the Cowboys.

Cowboys over Giants, 28-24

Seahawks at Packers

The Packers, at home, in a playoff game, in January. I don't care how young their team is; history says you don't pick against the Pack in January at home. They are 14-2 at home in Green Bay in postseason games (and only 6-11 at away games). And I don't even want to get into Favre's record when the temperature is below 40 degrees, which it should be for this game.

Packers over Seahawks, 24-21

No comments:

Post a Comment