Copyright

All blog posts, unless otherwise noted, are copyrighted to the Author (that's me) and may not be used without written permission.

April 21, 2008

Glass Half Full or Empty?

Well, I got "the script" from Renee today. I knew something was up at work with the number of mid-level managers who were present much earlier than usual, and the fact that Tom (one of the higher managers of our business unit) was going from office to office with papers in his hand. I hoped he wouldn't stop at Renee's office, but when he did, I was expecting the inevitable call in and scripted "you're fired" message. The new company will not be extending an offer of employment to me upon the close of the purchase deal.

I'm a little sad, a very small touch bitter, but mostly just disappointed in this. I will get a severance package from the previous company and I am getting three days this week off on them (paid leave) to help me "adjust" to this decision. Then, by April 30, I need to transition my work to her, including training her on the more technical things I do, and then it is adios.

It was a good run. I was hired on January 8, 2001. I was something of a star in my department because I got through the training much faster than expected, was participating as a quality member well before they expected. However, in recent months, my private life has intruded on things more; I've used more sick days, I've been distracted by my (2nd) wedding and the immigration process, and the company has continually halted new work on two of the main product lines I worked on, so I couldn't shine by doing those document sets and prove my value.

The glass is half empty because my life is currently in a lot of turmoil personally and I didn't need professional turmoil on top of that. Added to that is the fact I may have to look for a job for an undisclosed period of time in that I have no idea when the Canadian government will give me (hopefully) approval to move to Canada. It will be hard to interview even for short-term contract work knowing that I may not be able to complete it if the companies don't allow me to work from "home."

The glass is half full because we are somewhat hopeful that the immigration may come through sometime very soon. If it does, I can transition from working to packing to moving to looking for a job in Canada fairly seamlessly. If need be, I can pack up everything and live low-cost with mom for a few months. I have my sister and father who can potentially be helpful. And, of course, my wife is here this week to discuss this issue with me and to help make plans and think through strategies. Maybe this will work out for the best in the long run.


As I've said before, I do not define myself by my job. It is, after all, just a job. However, it is still sad to be let go after giving over 7 years of good service. But, with the help of my friends and family, I will turn this into something positive and worthwhile in the long run. Just need to figure things out in the meantime.

6 comments:

  1. What's too bad is that Renee won't be able to do her job and yours, but no one will realize that until you've moved on and they need you back.

    My hope is that this is an opportunity for your relocation to become reality without interrupting your employment status! Working on some short-term contracts can be a positive stop-gap measure, or could develop into something more permanent, depending on where life leads you.

    And I know for a fact that your mother would love to have you with her while these changes occur--she thinks you're special!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm sorry to read about the company's choice. It's always hard when someone else makes decisions for you.

    Hopefully this will be a Half Full event and you'll be with in Canada asap.

    Chris

    ReplyDelete
  3. Here's hoping that this is a whisper of a sign of great things coming your way. :) I'm holding out hope that this is part of the movement toward quickly having the immigration approval for you!

    Keeping you and Liz in my prayers during this as always.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm glad both of you are together this week so you can figure out how to proceed from here. I hope that the immigration comes through soon and that you'll be living up here before too long.

    Thinking of both of you,
    Jenn

    ReplyDelete
  5. That's unfortunate to have that happen, but as you say, it looks like it could end up being a positive circumstance if the timing goes well with immigration, etc. I hope it all goes smoothly! With any luck, you'll be moved to SJ before Suzy and I make our move at the end of the summer. :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hopefully it will all turn out for the best (although I find these things usually do).

    ReplyDelete