Copyright

All blog posts, unless otherwise noted, are copyrighted to the Author (that's me) and may not be used without written permission.

October 23, 2007

Arson!

At least three of the fires in So Cal have been identified as caused by arson; the Santiago (Irvine), the Magic (near Magic Mountain), and one of the two large fires in San Diego. When I was speaking with my mom, she worried about just this problem happening as she said that watching the fires burn on TV will spark a need to be closer and participate from those who are arsonist. More may be identified as such as they get a handle on them.

Guess you were right, mom.

I understand the lure of the fire-- I've always been fascinated by flame and can sit and watch it for hours. But I don't go around setting fires and destroying people's homes. What causes a person to need to start them? What causes them to want to destroy homes and lives? That part I just don't get!!!

The thing that gets me is that, if these three fires hadn't been purposely started, the firefighters in those areas could be elsewhere helping with the naturally caused fires burning around the state.

We are currently up to 500,000 people evacuated from San Diego, some 300,000 acres of land burned, and over 700 homes destroyed so far.

2 comments:

  1. hehe! I'm also a flamewatcher. Just gets me all happy! hehe!

    And I agree this is such a sad situation. Where is the disconnect that fun shouldn't endanger other people's homes, families, livelihoods. Just something so wrong there.

    And I'm glad you're safe this morning. Keeping ya in my prayers that you, your home, and Cali are safe.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Our local media is commenting that this area is "the only area in SoCal not dealing with the fires," which sounds so much like an invitation to arson.

    People who do this are sick, but they often act without realizing the consequences of their actions. They do, however, hang around the event, participate in the excitement, and often find sexual release from watching the flames dance.

    Perhaps an appropriate "reward" for their fire fascination could be immolation?

    ReplyDelete