Copyright

All blog posts, unless otherwise noted, are copyrighted to the Author (that's me) and may not be used without written permission.

October 21, 2007

Wind

I hate the wind. Growing up in 29 Palms, where the wind can blow to gale force, lifting sand a mile or more into the air and sandpapering anything in its path, I disliked the wind for the simple fact that it could knock me off my feet, and did. I hate the sand in my mouth and the way the wind was usually hot and would cook you like a convection oven.

It is windy in Irvine today. The news says only 16-20 mph, but I'm certain the gusts that are occurring are close to twice that amount. It is blowing hard enough that, even though I have my sliding glass door shut it is moving the blinds on the inside.

As it is winter, the wind is colder. It is whipping down from the mountain passes north of here, where the colder climate in the higher elevations makes it nice and chill. So, when you look outside, it looks like a nice, sunny, day. But when you step into that wind a cold stab goes through you.

My apartment complex also catches the wind and holds it. It comes in from the north and then circles in the parking lot so you don't know from which direction you'll get hit by it.

Lastly, both as I get older and also due to my suppressed immune system, I have developed allergies. While I used to just hate the wind for knocking me over, drying me out, making me too hot or too cold, now I also hate it because it stirs up the pollens, dusts, and other things that trigger me to have sneezing fits, watery eyes, and my internal nasal passages to fill with gunk.

Man, I hate the wind.

4 comments:

  1. As an addendum:
    The wind knocked down power lines in Malibu, and there is a 500 acre fire burning through that coastal town which has destroyed homes and caused evacuations.

    My cable is all screwed up because of the winds and repairs needed.

    Apparently some trees were knocked over in the area during the night.

    Still hating the wind!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Addendum 2:
    The news channels have revised it-- wind gusts up to 60 mph! Yuck.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Addendum 3:
    Man, it smells like smoke and fire. I'm a good 60 miles from Malibu, but the wind is bringing the smell of the fires directly to my doorstep.

    ReplyDelete
  4. The winds in my area have been pounding the house, closing roads, damaging vehicles, and generally causing headaches. My home is filthy dirty from a combo of working in the yard and the constant winds of the past 2 weeks blowing all the dirt inside.

    I've been staying inside as much as possible and dread hearing that one of the 8 fires currently blazing in SoCal is in my neighborhood, so I'm keeping the radio on tonight.

    ReplyDelete