Copyright

All blog posts, unless otherwise noted, are copyrighted to the Author (that's me) and may not be used without written permission.

February 23, 2006

The Streak Is Dead

All good things come to an end, and so too has the Streak. Since wearing The Shirt, this was also the first week we didn't have all four original members of the team, and I think that played into it. This makes week 5 of wearing the shirt and in the first four we went 14-2 and no worse than 3-1 in any one week. Tonight we went 1-3.

Everyone was tired. Jean and Lilia (Tai's GF and substitute bowler) just didn't have the oomph in them tonight, and each game seemed to get a little worse. Arvin started strong, with two decent games, but then had a drop off in the third game.

I plugged along, doing my best to match their best bowler (who actually has a better book average than I do by about 20 pins). I scored 225 (with two opens-- should have been better), 184, and 193. So I kept my personal streak of 200 games going and got another 600 series. But their best bowler had a 620 series and managed to beat me by, go figure, about 20 pins per game. Even though I'm happy I got another 600 series, I'd rather win as a team.

It's been proven a few times now, on each team I've on which I've bowled, that, while I can win or lose an individual game for the team, it is the other bowlers who win the night. Tonight, that was apparent again. I need my team to get marks and hit their averages -- I can't do it alone. And they need me to match the other team's best bowler and nullify that score. When either piece fails, the team fails.

All in all, we are still nicely positioned for a run at the top.

So, next week I'm breaking out the Superman shirt, which has been on hiatus for a while. Arvin says he has a Batman shirt that he will wear. It'll be fun, and maybe we'll start a new streak.

3 comments:

  1. I applaud your support for your team, while negating your own personal best streak: the 200 games are awesome! If nothing else, that has to feel really good.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anonymous12:24 PM

    Maybe the shirt is for the 200-game-a-week streak. So I wouldn't give up on it yet. I think I'm due for another 200-game (or maybe even a 300 like liz said) myself. In any case, keep up the great bowling.

    ReplyDelete
  3. :(

    Regroup and go at it with a fresh start next week. Maybe everyone will get 300s next week, you never know ;)

    ReplyDelete