Copyright

All blog posts, unless otherwise noted, are copyrighted to the Author (that's me) and may not be used without written permission.

January 17, 2006

Shaving Solutions

I shave me head. Anyone who reads this blog regularly knows this. The act of shaving my head has evolved quite a bit since I began doing it, about 4-5 years ago.

It started as an unpracticed mess. It took me forever to do. I quickly learned that I needed to cut off all the existing hair as short as possible before breaking out the Bic. And then I quickly learned that Bic was not the way to go! Soon I was researching new head shaving systems, looking and reading online for other’s opinions and practices. I quickly latched onto Headblade as a pretty nice way to shave, but that still wasn’t smooth enough. Some days I had razor burn so bad I was somewhat embarrassed to go to work. But I persevered.

When I visited M in Canada for the first time, she was excited because Dom, a local barber, still performed traditional straight-razor shaves and she knew I was very interested in that. She was thrilled to take me there and was very pleased with how happy I was with the result. During the shave, Dom let slip one of his secrets: American Crew Shaving Oil. After heating and wetting the area, he covers the skin with this thick oil before applying the warm shaving cream. The oil, as he said, “helps the blade glide over the skin.” If the blade is gliding, it is cutting better and the chance for razor burn is reduced. A-ha!

Upon returning home, I tried to mimic the same results using my Gillette Mach 3 and Johnson & Johnson’s Baby Oil. Overall a favorable response, so I continued to shave my head (and beard) using this system until I returned to Canada.

M had, in the meantime, procured the American Crew oil (and after shave) and gave it to me for Christmas. I also went back to Dom (who, in the tradition of good Italian barbers, remember who I was instantly) and got my head shaved again.

Since returning from Canada, I have shaved my head three times, each time using the American Crew oil. The difference between these shaves and what I achieved even with the Baby Oil is marked.

This morning I performed the ritual again. I prefer to shave my head during my morning shower, as the hot water and steam seem to help things. (I know of only a few men who shave their head outside of a shower). This morning the ritual went like this:

  • Thoroughly wet head and massage scalp in hot water.
  • Apply 5 drops of American Crew oil to hand and then massage into scalp (trust me, 5 drops will cover).
  • Re-wet and massage scalp in hot water, “activating” the oil (Dom’s word, not mine).
  • Apply shaving cream liberally.
  • Use Headblade razor first to get the bulk of the hair off my head. Use long, smooth strokes with this razor.
  • Use Mach 3 blade to finish up and do any against the grain type of strokes to “fine tune” the shave. Use shorter strokes and use your off hand to stretch the scalp around the area you are shaving to get every last hair you can.
  • Rinse thoroughly.
  • Wash head with soap, feeling for any missed spots.
  • Use Mach 3 on soapy head to shave missed spots and “clean up” the shave job. Stretch skin as needed.
  • Rinse thoroughly.
  • Pat dry head and then apply after shave lotion to sooth and moisturize shaved region.

My head is smooth today. This is the best job I have done shaving my head, ever. You can rub your finger forward and backward on my head and feel barely any stubble at all, even after nearly a full day’s growth between shaving and writing this. I wasn’t even using new blades in either razor today. With the oil on the head and using safety razors, it is virtually impossible to cut myself, although accidents can still happen if I get careless (none today).

I think I have finally found the key to successful shaves. It takes time to do, but the result is exactly what I want. I highly recommend a similar routine for anyone who shaves their head—or any other body part, for that matter. The difference the oil makes is huge.

No comments:

Post a Comment