Copyright

All blog posts, unless otherwise noted, are copyrighted to the Author (that's me) and may not be used without written permission.

December 20, 2005

Made it...

I am on the cold, ice-covered ground. I am at M's house and unpacked.

The first flight wound up being ok, all things considered (I was flying, after all!). We were pretty late arriving, though, landing at 6:49 am when we were scheduled to land at 6:11. Had some people's luggage make the flight without the people. So off their luggage had to go! My just-over-an-hour-to-clear-customs-and-make-my-connection had turned into about 30 minutes of frantic scurrying. However, being the "old pro" at it by now (yeah, right!) I actually helped a few people make it to the right area to take the tram to Terminal 1 (no one believes you have to go that far, and the wall through which you must walk to reach security looks like a dead end with a door in it). I was late enough that they weren't sure they would get my bags with me on the plane (but they did).

I also experienced my first blast of the Great White North as I stepped out of Terminal 2 to take the shuttle and slammed right into -9 celsius temperature. And there was this funny white stuff floating serenely to the ground. I tried to capture some for further analysis, but it refused all attempts by dissolving in my hand.

Needless to say, this stuff scared me and I put on my toque (thanx Mare) and zipped up my fleece jacket.

The last flight was ok, too, all things considered. There was really only one thing- my compatriot was fairly overweight and the plane and seats were small. I was more intimate with her than I cared to be. But that flight was only about 80 minutes long, so I just read the enRoute magazine. I'm not a big guy, I can handle that.

M's first comment as I made my way into the Saint John airport was, "You look cold!" I sort of collapsed into a hug with her and breathed a stuttering, "Yeah."

I managed to get some sleep on the first leg of the trip, so I don't feel as zoned as I did at Halloween. However, I've mostly been up since 7 am yesterday, it is 2 pm now, and I am feeling the stress of the flight and the anxiousness of wanting to be here disappear and a happy, tired calm has replaced it.

I'm with M and all is right with the world now.

(does happy dance, even though M hates when I do the happy dance!)

6 comments:

  1. Only because you can't dance. I *am* glad you're happy :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. it's good that you arrived safe and sound.

    toque and scarf. like i said. :)

    wait till saturday, they're calling for it to snow for christmas eve. that'll be an adventure, if the forecast holds true!

    ReplyDelete
  3. At least we've had some snow already this year, so there won't be as many people driving stupid as there would be if it were the first snowfall of the year.

    And most of the people that wait until after the first fall will have their snow tires on too. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. To the best of my recollection, there was a little boy, led astray by his older sister, I am sure, who used to open all the Christmas packages early. Since it has been leaked that there are "many" packages under the tree, someone may want to post a guard.

    Weather report: it's sunny, in the high 70s, but getting really cold at night--into the 40s. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Glad that you arrived safe and sound. Can't wait til Friday :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Ah! The Great White north is more brown than white so far this season, and that's okay by me, but it has dropped temperature considerably. must be because you're here! :) I've been going around in sweaters mostly until this week! Looking forward to seeing you on Friday night.

    ReplyDelete