Copyright

All blog posts, unless otherwise noted, are copyrighted to the Author (that's me) and may not be used without written permission.

November 4, 2005

Update 4

Dinner with Family

I think it went well. There was some obvious tension at first, as Dad and Brother both got comfortable with me, and I with them. Initially they discussed their work, as Brother works for Dad. But soon some topics came up in which I could state an opinion and start getting into the conversations.

Dinner was great, even if Dad was constantly downgrading his cooking skills. He cooks a mean prime rib, folks. I also met Step-sister (Dad is remarried) at dinner.

During dinner, the awkward pauses seemed to grow a little less frequent and the conversations seemed to veer into more territories that everyone could share. I soon was commenting on how incredible Dad’s house was and he offered me a tour of the place. It is a wonderful home; 4500 square feet of living space when you include the completely finished “basement” areas (really more of just a lower level). Hardwoods everywhere, which you know I like! There are many picture windows that overlook the Saint John River (which we couldn’t see at night).

We then settled into the study by the fire for some more relaxed conversation that meandered from politics, to travel, to international concerns. I think I scored some points being a gun-owner and (former) hunter. I think they were surprised at how unbiased I can be about the stupidity of American politics, and I’m sure I scored a couple of points having an (expired) NRA card in my wallet (Dad’s a hunter, couldn’t you guess?). All too soon we were tired and needing to head back home.

All in all, my sense was that we got along just fine. M seemed pleased with how things went, too.

Unfortunately, we missed a call from one of M’s friends whom I haven’t met in person yet. There was some chance we could see them last night as well. I’m still hopeful that we can find some time in my remaining two days to fit them into the schedule.

And that brings me to the sad part. I’m totally not ready to go early on Sunday morning. While I have enjoyed all of my time here, I don’t feel like I’ve had enough time to spend with M, as yet. I know I’ll be back here at Christmas and will stay slightly longer than this visit, but that doesn’t help me NOW. Dammit.

So, I’m down to work today and game night tonight. Saturday’s events are a little up in the air, but should include (hopefully) a straight razor shave of my head, church, a quiet evening alone together, repacking, and an early night. My plane leaves at 6:40am on Sunday.

I don’t want to go.

2 comments:

  1. Anonymous11:47 AM

    glad you've had such a good time up here with us. it's true that it has been far too short a visit, but you'll have fun when you come back at christmas.

    liz is to hallowe'en as i am to christmas. :P

    looking forward to game night tonight too.

    and last, but not least, mmmmmmmmm prime rib, drool.

    mare (blogger's acting weird)

    ReplyDelete
  2. You and M both need time to process this visit, so it's okay that you are coming home, but great that you are going back.

    I remember watching episodes of The Bachelor and thinking, "if they just could have some time apart, they could see what the relationship is and where it can go." Trying to compact too much relationship into too little time is often a fatal flaw of the process.

    So, wind down, say your Via con Dios, come back to CA--and then start repacking. The holidays will be here before you know it!

    ReplyDelete