Copyright

All blog posts, unless otherwise noted, are copyrighted to the Author (that's me) and may not be used without written permission.

November 29, 2005

Fear The Future

In my job, I have direct accountability. If I don’t do a good job, if I don’t make a deadline, if I have a poor or sour disposition, my boss and the HR department get involved and the repercussions can be as mild as an informal talking to or as severe as being fired and having an official demarcation entered into my work history for that company and could follow me to the next job when that company’s HR department calls for a background check.

I’ve only had three “Talking to’s” in my career. First, at XXXXXXX’s Photography where the owner wasn’t sure I was “invested” in the company. When I explained that I didn’t feel he was invested in me or cared what my opinions were, he agreed and our relationship improved.

At XXX, I got into an argument with my boss at the time, David, that ended up with a snotty email from me and a reprisal email from him that had the words “and possible termination” in it as a threat. I had already decided to leave at that point, since that man was (and still is) a cancer to everything he touched and drove multiple good, caring, intelligent people from the company. I didn’t need to bother; within a month or so, the two remaining people in the documentation department were both given their walking papers.

At my current job, my boss, Renee, noticed my lack of focus and enthusiasm for my work. She informally talked to me about my motivation and the things she and I could do to make sure I was focused and involved. We made plans to go in different directions. That was more of a friendly wake-up call, but it was important; I needed to hear it, and it was the first time as a boss she had to have that type of conversation. We both learned new things.

So, in the real world, there are generally immediate repercussions for poor behavior or work.

I hear from my mother and other educators about the constant need for “make up work” and the expectation by students that they can and should be able to turn in work that is overdue not by days but by weeks and even months in order to scrape by with passing grades now.

I read in the newspaper that Matt Millen had “trouble” firing his “friend” Steve Mariucci for the poor performance on the field of the Detroit Lions (the team I root for). It doesn’t matter that the team has been the worst in the league since Millen took over (yes, even worse than the expansion Houston Texans and other perennial cellar dwellers like Arizona!), that he’s hired his third coach (including Dick Jauron, who Millen replaced Mooch with today) in five seasons, and he has made some of the most questionable decisions (three wide receivers as your number one overall pick in a row?) as a GM of any in the league. Somehow, it is everyone else’s fault except his.

These situations lead me to this: if these students ask for the same concessions at work, in the business world for which they are obviously and woefully under prepared, they would be laughed at and fired on the spot. If Millen had the same track record for managing projects that he has managing a football team, he would have been fired 4 years ago, instead of getting a multi-million dollar, five-year extension.

In my mind, High School, and school in general at every level, is used to prepare students for the “real world.” Part of that real world is that you fail, get in over your head, and have repercussions for your actions (or inaction). That’s why No Child Left Behind is a joke and will, ultimately, be a dismal failure: children need to learn how to deal with failure earlier in life so they are prepared for it and learn coping mechanisms to keep them trying over and over again.

And all sports could use a better business model. Currently, fans don’t see accountability at any level of any sport. Jocks rule the roost. Those with the worst attitudes and the most detrimental activities seem to get the most money. The “good guys” do seem to finish last. And the decision makers who allow this lack of discipline and who fail to impose rules and regulations seem to flourish.

Throughout my life, I have nearly always learned more from my failures than from my successes. Having that talk with the owner of the photography studio taught me to express my needs. The argument with my boss at my first white-collar job taught me to be tactful and diplomatic. It also taught me things that are important to avoid in future jobs. That talk with my current boss taught me the value of exploring my likes and dislikes with my boss so we can work toward a better working environment where I (and, through me, my company) can succeed.

I fear that the coming generations will not learn these lessons. They have no coping mechanism in place for their failures. What will these kids do when they get out in the “real world” and these excuses just don’t cut it any more?

3 comments:

  1. Thanks for the insight and understanding. The coping mechanism for far too many people today is "mom," or another entity that takes mom's place. If I can displace my incompetence, take it off my head and put it on ... society, the boss who hates me, the co-workers who don't do their share, etc. ... I can continue my path through life untouched by human hands.

    The hardest moments are those we spend looking at ourselves in the mirror. Too many of us only see what's on the outside and never dare to venture beneath the surface.

    One of the reasons I love teaching literature is because it provides us with a look beneath the surface. Sometimes we like what we see, and other times we don't, but it's important to look once in a while.

    Another reality check for a parent is how well the children grow up, and I'm proud of the end results with my two! Thanks, son, for continuing to be you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sorry - deleted my last comment as I forgot something....spell check :)

    I think that parents in general are getting out of things too easily. They get to stick their kids in front of the automatic babysitter - called TV, and Movies. Then they get to get out of disciplining the child that they mis-reared with - "They'll sue me for child abuse". Then they get to pawn off their spwns of satan on the teachers and school administration who can do nothing to change this behaviour and disinterest at that point as the development years were not used for development in the right ways. I admire teachers - they take the brunt of the shit.

    As far as the work thing goes - I'm glad that you were able to talk it out and work it out and hopefully there will be something come of it on the other end that provides more satisfaction for you and for the company. You're lucky they didn't come and talk to you at a moment where you didn't care. Last week my bosses could ahve come to me and I would have told them right where to shove it and I couldn't have cared less if I was fired for it. Those are the times when it's dangerous for a peson to have a sit-down conversation with their bosses - recklessness supercedes. I'm glad that thigns were workable and that she was open to listening to what you had to say as well!!

    ReplyDelete