Copyright

All blog posts, unless otherwise noted, are copyrighted to the Author (that's me) and may not be used without written permission.

August 31, 2005

Mentoring

So, after finishing the Fantasy Football draft, I decided to log on to City of Heroes for a little while. Maybe run a mission. While on, a group asked for help, and I obliged. This group was not so great, with two guys who didn't understand tactics, another who kept running away at the slightest sign of danger, and a third who kept "helping" me by knocking everything away from me (I need things in close).

I finished the mission, said my goodbyes, and moved on.

As I was heading back to where I had been, I saw a poor lowly blaster about to get killed. I grabbed her aggro, allowing her to flee. She came back and blasted the two villains. We chatted, and she mentioned that she had died so many times tonight that she was well in debt and frustrated. I asked her to team with me on one of my high-level missions, and then mentored her on the game.

This person did not know what Dual or Single Origin enhancements were, where any stores were located, that Council mobs sometimes turn into Werewolves (it was fun to see her reaction), or really how to use her contacts or even powers to full effect.

I guess I have a little teacher in me. Even though I was exhausted, it was well past midnight, I couldn't help but stay online and explain all this to her, show her where the stores in Steel and Talos are, explain how to use enhancements (I couldn't explain combining, just too difficult this late!), and how to make the most of her powers and contacts. I then gave her a ton of high-level enhancements to sell to boost her Influence in the game.

She was thrilled. Not only did I clear over a nice chunk of her debt (unfortunately, I think she was at the cap, as she still had 19,000 debt after that!), but I showed her how to use her powers, how to successfully team, and how to have fun in the game.

And I got a hearty thank you and added to her Friends list.

After my rather disappointing teaming experience with the group before, it was nice to end the evening on a positive note.

Have fun and stick with it! There are good teammates out there! If your first team isn't the greatest, just say goodbye at a good moment (not in the middle of combat!), and start looking for another. Eventually you'll find a good fit and be happy.

Game on!

2 comments:

  1. Gotta go because I'm gaming with "the boys" eh? *cough ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeah, the only problem with the multi player games out there is all the idiots that play and you can manage to stick yourself with if you're not careful.

    Played EQ for almost 6 years, and just started playing EQ2 a little while ago. EQ2 is way better for that... Except that it's harder to get a group in EQ2 becuase it's so easy to solo, no one wants to chance an idiot (in my low level experience at least).

    ReplyDelete