Copyright

All blog posts, unless otherwise noted, are copyrighted to the Author (that's me) and may not be used without written permission.

August 13, 2005

And the Cleaning Continues...

I'm still cleaning, trying to whittle my life down to just those items I need. Today I managed to clear the black, four-shelf bookcase inside the front door. I walked it down to the garbage and threw it away. No remorse.

I have yet another bag of garbage ready to throw out and I managed to convince myself to get rid of three pairs of shoes that I haven't worn in at least a year. I can actually step into my tiny walk-in closet in the bedroom, but there are still miles to go before that is finished. And don't ask about the closet just inside the front door.

Now to figure out what to do with the old receiver, double-cassette player, George Foreman grill (with waffle maker), Canon ink-jet color printer, and cd player. To the best of knowledge they all still work. Maybe I can put a "Please Take Me" sign on them at work?

I'm starting to wonder what else I will find in this apartment.

The one bad thing is that I a) keep finding more and more comics hidden everywhere that need to be bagged and boxed somewhere and b) more and more old paperwork that should be shredded. If I could convince myself to just toss the paper without shredding, I would be closer to finishing this task. But the papers have names, addresses, and other personal information on them and I can't bring myself to toss them without shredding first-- even if the addresses are from 10 years ago and the personal information just isn't valid any more.

I'm fairly certain I've decided to stay in this apartment. I have a lot going on the last couple of weeks in September, right when I would need to be making plans for any move. And, as I look through Rent.com, et al, and call around, I'm finding that any place I move will be more expensive than where I am, even factoring in the increase I am forced to take here. So, here I will stay.

Just means it is more important that I get this place ship-shape, right?

3 comments:

  1. Don't ya just find that the more you toss, the more you want to get rid of?

    As for the stuff you're not sure what to do with... might there be a daycare, preschool, or church sunday school that could make use of those sorts of things? Or perhaps a Girl or Boy scouts troop in your area. That way they get some useful stuff - I'm thinking the cd player and grill type stuff as opposed to the cassette player haha! - and you get a tax right off. Those are the sorts of things they can put in their troop camp kits.

    Happy cleaning!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good suggestions. I look into that. I would hate to throw them away, but they cannot stay here any more.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Two words for you, Good Will. The appliance type things are among the things they are looking for. Other people can make great use of them.

    I have been somewhat surprised that as I toss things it gets easier and even becomes fun. Right now my office is still in shambles but the rest of the house is coming together nicely. I probably won't be able to finish the office until after I get back from Jamaica, but I feel much better with the progress I have made.

    I second the comment about how long it takes to shred things, but you can't take chances.

    ReplyDelete