Copyright

All blog posts, unless otherwise noted, are copyrighted to the Author (that's me) and may not be used without written permission.

March 10, 2008

The Week That Was

On the Thursday prior to leaving for Saint John, I commented to both my wife and my boss that I wasn't feeling particularly well and that I was afraid that flying was going to cause me increased difficulties because of that. On top of that, as you have likely already read in a previous post, the flight took much longer and was a poor day, which didn't help my beleaguered immune system. Lastly, Saint John is suffering from some pretty bad cold/flu problems at the moment (they have been ranked "High" or "Very High" since I got here).

Sure enough, I got sick. Very sick. Happily, it was a slightly uncommon illness for me in that my face really showed it, I was coughing a ton (and powerfully), and even sneezing and blowing my nose. My throat was raw both from the coughing and from the illness, some intestinal/stomach issues, and I had a severe headache. I say "luckily" because, oftentimes, I get very sick but it doesn't show up on my face and people around me don't completely believe I'm sick. Apparently, the key to making people believe you really are sick is to have a red nose from blowing too much or water, dry, drained, eyes. I simply don't usually have those symptoms.

I actually logged off early and or took a full sick day a couple of times last week, I felt that bad. This weekend it came to a head and I actually coughed so hard that I vomited! Ugh! I have been sucking on cough drops, Hall's Defense, and taking Advil Cold and Sinus all week and praying for health.

What has been wonderful is being with my wife. What a difference it makes to have someone who can take over the cooking needs, can keep the cupboards stocked, and rub you when you are having a hot or cold flash. Unlike when I am at my apartment and I have to eat whatever crap happens to be left over in my fridge or cupboards, which I'm sure doesn't help me get any better. My only hope is that she doesn't catch what I've had. *fingers crossed

I'm back at work today. Sneezing and blowing a bit, still having powerful and painful coughing, and still feeling liquid sloshing around in my chest. But I am definitely on the mend. Finally!

Now, today would normally be Enbrel day, but that lowers the hell out of my immune system and I'm not supposed to take it when I feel sick or feel like I am getting sick. So I think I had better hold off a day or two more before trying it. *sigh

4 comments:

  1. Unfotunately, what you describe is what is being called this year's flu in the desert--and it is nasty. I was sick 2 weeks ago and STILL have the cough and runny nose. The liquid in your chest should be paid attention to as many chronically ill flu patients have had to deal with pneumonia, too. Take care of your self and your wife: she is an angel.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sorry your visit home isn't as wonderful as it should be. But I'm also glad Liz is able to help you through this round. Being sick is so much easier when you're with someone you love.

    Also, can you take codeine? If you can, give it a whirl for the coughing. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have been fighting that for 2 weeks - went to Dr. and was told it was a virus. Went another 10 days and on friday was diagnosed with a sinus infection and pneumonia. Hopefully you don't ahve either and it's just the cold!!! Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Boo-urns! Virtual hug!

    ReplyDelete