Copyright

All blog posts, unless otherwise noted, are copyrighted to the Author (that's me) and may not be used without written permission.

June 10, 2007

WoW

So a friend was playing World of Warcraft (WoW) and I wanted to play online with friends, so I downloaded the free install and played for 10 days. We decided to continue playing so I payed the fee and registered the game.

I'm having fun. I have created a Druid who is by far my favorite character, but I also have a Warrior and a Paladin to play around with as well (all on The Scryers, a Roleplaying server). I am thinking of creating a Mage and a Hunter here shortly, just to see how much I like them.

The cartoony nature of the graphics is visually appealing but a bit over the top. What stands out to me is that the game almost never needs to load. I play City of Heroes (CoH) pretty often, and I love that game, but you have to load for every zone change and instance. I am very curious how they programmed the game to so rarely need to load.

It is funny because, when people think of City of Heroes and put a mental image in their heads, I'm willing to bet that it is predominantly what the graphics in WoW look like. Whereas the CoH graphics are very realistic and natural.

I also did the 10 day trial on Dungeons & Dragons Online (ddo.com) at around the same time as the trial for this game. I truly loved the graphics on that one; very realistic and richly detailed. I enjoyed seeing some of my favorite DnD things personified in the game. However, in the end, the fact that it was the Eberron campaign setting turned me off. I like the Forgotten Realms and Greyhawk campaign settings, I enjoy the classes and prestige classes in the core systems, and I like to have the standard races available. So not having some of my favorite classes and races turned me off a bit.

Anyway, my time in WoW has been fun. My Druid is up to about 27 and is going strong. I have focused on the Feral qualities and abilities, minimally on casting (really only on the buff and healing spells). I really enjoy shape changing into the Bear, Sea Lion, and Cat forms. My only complaint is that I cannot use potions while changed, which leads to my death a little more often than I should be defeated.

For as much fun as I am having in WoW, CoH is having a double XP weekend June 15 through June 17 and I need to level up my Kheldian a few levels (hopefully to 20 and the next new form). So this coming weekend is all set for super heroes!

5 comments:

  1. Ack! I just wrote a fairly lengthy comment and it deleted. Grr!!!

    We're on Lothar and Silver Hand if you're wanting bigger groups to play. Good size social guild on Lothar alliance side.

    Also, we're levelling belfs to 13 on Silver Hand simply and only for the reason of getting to see Ragefire Chasm in Ogrimmar. We need 2 more. You're welcome to join. Already have priest, mage & pally. Let us know! We'd love to have you join us!

    Have you tried dialing up the video settings?

    btw, you're only 3 lvls from travel form. Wahoo!!! I've got my main as a pally, and also priest, mage, druid, lock, rogue. I love my druid though. She's balance so super caster. Can't wait for moonkin form so I am like a lock with mail armor! hehe!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think I just heard "Charlie Brown teacher voice". I have no idea what she just said. :P

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hahaha, Liz! One day we will get you too! It will happen. Don't try to resist. I did. It didn't work. LOL

    I'm curious, does the download include right through the BC expansion or just the original WoW?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Just the original WoW. But there is an option to download and install Burning Crusade and pay for it online as well. I have not done that, as the original WoW seems plenty to me right now.

    While I think Liz could find entertainment with two of my guilty pleasures, online gaming and DnD, I'm not sure she wants to. I'm willing and happy to teach her should she want to, tho.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hehe! Actually it's not something I actually think I'd ever manage to drag her into, but I do think it could be fun! There's just something so child-like in the adventuring around mystical/mythical places. It's kind of like being a kid again and going off exploring!

    What's your druid's name? Just curious! It's really too bad you're not on Lothar. Between J & I we have a rather army of tradeskilling toons with every sort of gear making/enhancing option you can dream!

    Did you want to try Ragefire with us? We could level in the undead area (easy for us to get to) if you'd like to since ya don't have access to BC content.

    ReplyDelete